1

FMS
25

Macbook Pro Replacement keyboard - F Keys are in the wrong place

Had Apple fix a bunch of laptops for me

One of them had they keyboard replaced but is now sporting the up to date keyboard layout so the F keys are now in the wrong place

Is there an easy way to re-assign the keys?

The System (Snow Leopard) was installed with the previous keyboard so presumably mapped the keys during installation? (I'm just guessing here)

I can't see anywhere in the keyboard or expose system prefs to reassign the volume keys from F3/4/5 to further up the keyboard

Any advice thankfully received

I could of course physically remove the keys and replace them in the 'correct' place for the current system setup but is there an easier way?

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , iRobot ( ) , Ben Eisenman ( )

4

machead3

Delete the Library/Preferences/com.apple.keyboardtype.plist file, log out or restart.

Thanks machead3 but that file doesn't appear to exist under snowleopard

FMS,

That's on my copy! System Preferences -> Language & Text (Input Sources)

machead3,

1

matthewfrey
2k

I would at least try running an installation of snow leopard, it should recognize the keyboard attached and set everything correctly - should be the least work of all.

0

neal0
1

>>Delete the Library/Preferences/com.apple.keyboardtype.plist file, log out or restart.

Negative...the file does exist in Snow leopard, deleting and restarting has no effect on the incorrectly mapped keys.

0

stealth505
1

It may be that you have a keyboard from the last Macbook Pro model, A1260. Apple switched the F-key locations on that model. It's unlikely that they would, but it may be something to check. Best of luck!

0

Resteasy
25

The apple keyboard keys are removable so you can just lift up and move it in to the correct location.