There are several types of PowerBook G4 Aluminum models.

Question Closed

Once I enter my password and my desktop comes up

G4 Powerbook, When i enter my password and desktop comes up, no icons appear and only the magnifying glass in upper right corner appears. when you roll over that you get the spinning beach ball.?

Have you tried starting in Option mode and booting from disk, or in target mode?

Android Fix Kits

A new screen or battery is one kit away.

Android Fix Kits

Try Repairing your disk

Start up in single user mode ---- Hold CMD-S on start up

Let it boot - When the text stops scrolling:

Mount hdd - Type in (no quotes) "mount -uav"

Filesystem check - Type in (no quotes) "fsck -f"

If it completes successfully you can reboot by typing "reboot" or turn off by typing "halt"

or you can run fsck again if you want.

I tried that already. I also made a new admin user account in single user mode. , which did work . but in my other account i had some folders and files with my artwork stored on the desktop. I can get to the harddrive but cant get to the stuff stored on that original desktop. Trying to get in through prefs user accounts . It wont let me change old user password or use something called quickswitch. It still asks for old passw and says i cant get in.

Thanks, i don't know why, i had some trouble last week and fixed through safe mode, but get through now. I think my harddrive is going or something.its an older mac G4 Powerbook

Still trying to get in and find some of the stuff i lost.

BACKUP all that info now if you haven't already. If your disk is failing (rom your description of problems I bet it is) you could lose all data futzing with "fixing" it. Once the data is backed up you're golden also if the backup fails you'll know you have file/disk damage which is contributing to your problems.

If this Answer is helpful please remember to return and mark it Accepted.