ASUS TUF Gaming Laptop - FX505DD-DR5N6 with i7-8750H and GTX 1060. Released Q4 2018.

External monitor works but main is not recognised

Hi, i have an ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DT and today i was working as normal and the main display, the one with the laptop stopped showing image. I opened the case and gave it a cleaning and tested the RAM sticks, even discharged all static by pressing the power button 30 seconds while the battery was disconnected but still nothing shows in the main display. The external monitor works perfectly and when i go to device manager it only shows the external one but not the main one.

It's not an update problem because i didn't get an update and the graphic drivers are updated. I can't go into BIOS because for some reason it only works with the main display.

I don't know what happened and i really need the two displays and if any of you can help me i would appreciate infinitely. Sorry for bad English, it's not my first language.

Most Helpful Answer

Try pressing Fn+F6 (both together) to see if the laptop screen turns on.

Try pressing Fn + F9 (both together) a few times to see if the display output cycled between laptop screen only, external monitor only or both on together.

With the laptop turned on and a display showing on the external monitor, try shining a torch (flashlight) at an angle close to the laptop's screen and check if you can see any images on the screen. They will be very faint if they are there so trying this in a darkened room may help to see them if they are they.

If you can see images then there's a backlight problem with the display. Either a faulty backlight power circuit on the motherboard, a faulty video cable/cable connection between the motherboard and the screen or a problem in the screen itself. Further testing would be required to find out what and where the problem actually is.

If you can't see any images then there's either a problem in the video cable/cable connection or the screen.

Has the laptop been dropped or gotten wet at all?

If you suspect that it is a motherboard problem and not a display panel problem, here's a link to the schematics that may help. (I couldn't find a free download online but the cost is not too bad)

1 Comment:

Hi, thanks for your answer. I think it's a problem with the backlight or the cable, today i turned on the laptop and it showed only a yellow line in the upper left corner.

I have never dropped but i think it was either the hot weather or the dust that made the cable burn. So i will only work with the external monitor for a while.

Thanks you for your help, have a great day!

Kelly Coronel will be eternally grateful.