Repair guides and disassembly information for the 14-inch MacBook Pro released in October of 2021, featuring Apple-designed M1 Pro and M1 Max SoCs. Model A2442.

Display issues on MacBook Pro 14" M1 - Shadows on Screen

Hi, I replaced the logic board on my macbook pro 14 M1 and now it shows shadows on the top side of the screen besides the notch. I tried with different displays and same problem. Does anyone have the same issue?

3 Comments

Did you replace the display assembly?

not touched my m1 macbook pro 14 or changed anything to display, I do get those exact shadows on screen. I am out of warranty by 1months and can someone suggest what I should now?

@vindkadtt - I would still give Apple a try. They often slide on a month.

Even if it’s not covered you have no choice ☹️Apple has made repairs much harder.

These new MacBooks have mini LED type displays, and have more dimming zones (small areas where the backlight can be regulated independent of other areas). I am thinking it's possible there's something up with the backlight related to the new board.

I am not super familiar with the boards on these because they are so new and I would be much more likely to think this is related to the display. But if it is occurring with different displays, that seems to rule that out. I suppose its possible there's something to this related to pairing to the logic board, as Apple is wont to do. But I have no practical evidence for that.

UPDATE 10/22/2022:

In light of some info coming in now that Apple's Self Repair is live for MacBooks, it appears this is related to "Calibration" performed by Apple. Basically, the screen (and Lid Angle Sensor) are paired to the logic board, which enables whatever Mini-LED magic the display is doing. So if your display and logic board are not paired together with Apple's software, you're likely to get this issue.

I continue to be perplexed as to why this serialized pairing is necessary for proper function, but that's a whole different discussion.

UPDATE: 11/26/2022:

As info continues to come in about repairing these models, here's the latest on what the independent repair community is finding. The TCON Board on these is underneath the bezel at the bottom of the display rather than attached to the cables dangling from the screen.

If you're replacing the display and not using Apple's Self Repair program where System Configuration is accessible, there are two ICs (Integrated Circuits, or more commonly - chips) that need to be transplanted from the original TCON board to the new one to maintain the configuration. This not really a viable fix for most DIYers, since it requires the skills and tools desolder and solder BGA components, but it's how people outside Apple's authorized repair ecosystem are resolving this issue. I will try and find some pictures for reference, but I don't have any of these in my spare parts bin yet.

7 Comments:

@danj Oh! Seems to support this hypothesis. Thanks for pointing that out. I am willing to bet this is an issue with something on the board related to the backlight dimming zones, since they seem to be of uniform size.

I actually didn't even realize these new displays don't have a T-CON board attached until I looked at the schematics for this post and then I had to derail myself from going down a rabbit hole because I have actual work to do today Haha.

I only worked on a small handful of these before my day job lost our AASP status and I didn't even think about this because I was looking for liquid damage on all of those. But this is going to be my afternoon project once I finish this wiki page I've been working on.

I have the exact same issue on my macbook pro 14"

can you tell me how i can fix it.

Hello, I've got exactly the same issue.

I bought my Macbook as a used one and this issue came with it. However, it has only 6 cycle counts on the battery. I am doubting that the display was ever changed, as it looks like a new one, no marks on the screws, still under Apple's warranty, hardware support etc. My questions is that an AASP would repair this under Apple warrranty? Is it possible that the screen was never changed and this issue appeared on its original screen?

Thanks and I much appreciate your response. Kind regards, Mark.

@Mark Toro I would wager this is still the issue. If you bought it used and it is still under warranty I would question why it was sold in the first place. If it was under warranty, why wouldn't the original owner have taken it to Apple themselves?

Have you opened up the machine? Or the screw assessment is based on exterior screws?

I don't work in AASP land anymore so I don't have the experience to tell you for sure, it's probably possible if there is a failure of the TCON board. It's still worth taking it to Apple, or an AASP. But I will caution that they may refuse service. The diagnostics they run may tell them that it can't verify the screen's authenticity. In which case they should do additional investigation. But they may not depending on the person. Worst case scenario you can replace the display yourself under Apples Self Repair program. But it's wouldn't be covered by warranty. And the part is not cheap.

Most Helpful Answer

I bought display (including lid sensor) at selfservicerepair.com (SPOT) and replaced it. After replacement, I found these artifacts. There was information in the order: after installation, contact support and complete the system configuration. Following the support instructions, I turned off the macbook, then turned it on to the diagnostic state (pressed the power button for 10 seconds until the disk and gear icons appeared). After that, I pressed the command+d, this launched the diagnostic process. As far as I understand, at this moment, support remotely connects to the MacBook and calibrates the lid sensor. When the progress bar passed about 30%, support asked to close the lid. Apparently magic happened at that moment. After a couple of minutes, the macbook made a power-up sound, I opened the lid, chose to restart, and booted up in normal mode. After entering, the artifacts disappeared. There is a chat transcript with support. I can upload if anyone is interested

3 Comments:

do you contact with Apple Support or selfservicerepair.com support?

@i.wawuwe - Unless you buy the Apple sold display using the new self repair offering you can’t access the needed software tool from there severs. So replacing display’s either used or otherwise other than directly from Apple is presently not possible!

@i.wawuwe selfservicerepair.com. And asked also could they provide calibration service in case if I’d bought display from 3rd party seller (eBay, etc). The answer was “no”

I have the same problem with a 14” MacBook Pro. I changed the screen with another original the same problem in the apple document they say that a configuration system is needed.

1 Comment:

It's true system configuration is necessary after the repair. Actually for all MacBook Pro models 2018 and newer when the display is replaced and Airs I think 2019 and newer (for some reason I think the 2018 is exempt even though it has a T2 chip).

This could in theory explain an issue with installing another screen without running system config. But I think I have also seen this issue on the original screen no replacement.

Irving Rodriguez will be eternally grateful.