0

Pim Vellinga
1

Why does my sound not work anymore?

Hi all,

The problem im having with my iPhone is that im not able to listen music anymore. My phone does play sounds, but only when docked or having my earphones plugged in.

It does NOT work without earphones and the volume slider does not show up when playing music.

However, it DOES make sounds when my alarm goes off or when im getting called, ringtones work fine too.

Anyone knows what could be the issue?

Edited by: machead3 and oldturkey03 ( )

2

pollytintop

External speaker is contained within the dock, you can try what Andrea suggests as the left lower part near home button is over the speaker connection. Otherwise you'll need to replace the dock.

I hope you mean the dock-connector right? Since the issue is not related to the dock itself. Please note that ringtones work fine, only music doesn't.

Pim Vellinga,

1

Rob
13

Hi

I had similar problems and what i found is that the bottom charging slot where the usb cable attaches to the Iphone had a buildup of dust and stuff from being in my pocket. All I did was gently scrape this dust out with the edge of a folded piece of paper and it worked again.

Hope this helps

Rob

Yep just cleaned out the USB port with a folded piece of paper and it started workin again

lukasschnell,

I followed the advise...it worked and then all of a sudden it stopped working again. I don't know what else to do.

Tracey,

1

Paul
13

I had exactly the same proble, tried updating, master reset etc. but still only mananged to get sound through headphones or music music dock. Volume up and down buttons did nothing too. The problem wasn't software related at all but infact a simple fix. The headphone output was dirty and was making the phone think there was still an input there (volume buttons still didn't work though). I'd read that someone fixed this by repeatedly inserting and removing their headphones but I managed to fix it with a high pressure air line at work. Happy happy now!

0

raulbols
1

I did the same thing, with a small needle I took out all the rubbish inside the USB connection. Immediately worked out.

0

Jon
1

Exactly the fix; used a simple keyboard air spray cleaner down the headphone hole and it worked.

Somebody should invent a little plug for that hole, I never use it since i connect to speakers via bluetooth.

omg thank you guys... this happen to me today my phone was ringing but i couldnt hear when i answered unless i put the phone on speaker , n my music wudnt play either and i use the keyboard air in a can and it totally worked.

Llenats,

0

rishi chauhan
1

try to do home sharing its working on my device hope its work with you all ....

0

Stephanie Snyder
1

Plugged in headphones and heard everything just fine. Unplugged them and now it's working fine. Just something stuck in the jack, I guess. I have an otterbox covering the jack and never use it, so who knows. This thread saved me a trip to the Apple store - thanks!

0

Dan
155

I see this issue a lot, and usually it's tied in with another issue where the volume keys on the side of the iPhone will not adjust the volume from the home screen. The volume icon will show up on the screen when you push the buttons but it won't adjust, but during phone calls or when playing back a voice recording, the volume buttons work fine. This issue also causes music not to play from the speaker. The issue is ALWAYS the dock-connector in my experience. Either clean it or replace it if that doesn't work.

*Note: If you want to test to see if this is the issue, remove the back of the iPhone and while it is still powered on, remove the 2 screws securing the dock connector flex, and unsnap it from motherboard. Now test the volume keys from the home screen. If it works now, you know your issue lies in the dock connector.

0

eli
1

this worked! thank you so much

0

Jano Castillo
1

Just toggle the Do Not Disturb Icon. Yeah, i'm a genius. Thankyou. - Jano Pogi

Edited by: Jano Castillo ( )

Wonderful... Working after press Do not disturb button. :) Thank You so much...

shenrm2001,

0

bigcheese
1

I tried the air blast - nothing.

And then rubbing some paper across the bottom connector to removed dirt worked!

thanks for the tip

0

test
1

Thanks, after blowing the air in the headphone doc it worked immediately. Once again thankyou so much

0

Bec
1

Dropped my phone in my coffee..... then no sound, only headphones. let it stand for about 1/2 hour... then took a hairdryer on it's coolest setting for about 5 minutes into the headphone jack. My power button also does not work. Good as almost new!

0

Robert Chua Jr
1

A smal cotton buds that can fit into the headphone hole can Also Help Fix the issue

0

ahmad beifong
1

Just did that and it 1000% solve my problem!!! Before i thinking of taking my idevice to a repairer buh not anymore!!!! A million thanks

0

tony
1

a q-tip works great to clean headphone jack . just pull some of the cotton off the q-tip to clean inside of headphone jack

Edited by: tony ( )

0

Dina Patsiavos
1

The diminished cotton swab combined with gently scraping around the charging dock area with a toothpick loosened a thin chunk of dusty dirt. I also blew air into it a couple of times. My sound was up & running & volume buttons work again!

0

menia guevara
1

Omg yah just toggle the do not disturb it worked for me fine !!! :D thanks so much @Jano Castillo

0

Shera Bello
1

thank you !!! it was totally the fix!!

0

franki90
1

Nothing works for mine :(

0

tamhoangngo
679

You need to replace the dock. The phone thinks it is docked all the time hence the inability to change the volume as you'd normally change the volume on the dock itself.

0

franki90
1

Dock in , dock out.

Dust free totally. Always kept in cover but this volume carry on comes n goes.

Guess I'll just need to update next time with a Samsung :(

0

Sparky Grace
1

I just had the same exact problem and cleaned the speakers with a q tip and it worked

0

garrysmith0981
1

I accidentally dropped my phone in a bowl of ramen noodles and I got it out fast and I ca

N only listen to YouTube with headphones and the volume button up and down doesn't work if u press it volume comes up but it won't adjust I have talking tom tht works perfect without heAdphones and alerts but I can't listen to music without headphone

And it looks burn a little at the USB port

garrysmith0981,

0

alex
1

my phone is not even a month old! i tried the paper cleaning like you were talking about, plus i tried the air duster. it worked for like 2 seconds and then stopped again! i havent even had this iphone 4s a month yet! help me!

Alex I would just take into the apple shop as they usual replace if less than a year old. I'd not bother tryin to fix because it could happen again whereas yu might just b given a brand new one instead . X

franki90,

0

Mitesh
1

It works i got a tiny peice of long plastic and slowly put it in and wow the amount of dirt i found in both the slot for the charger and the headphone port was incredible.

Thanks for this :)

0

Jon Berisha
1

I found out a solution. I took a tiny metal bit and

scraped the headphones til the sound worked

0

Taylah
1

Hi, can anyone help. I have an iPhone 4 and all my sounds are working fine when I watch Facebook videos and get a message or anything. My sound is only not working when I try to watch something on the internet? HELP PLEASE!

This Month: 3,448