The first model of iPhone, Model A1203 with 4, 8, or 16 GB capacity and an aluminum back. Repair requires a significant amount of prying, and may require some soldering.

Unlocking iPhone 1st Generation is it a good phone?

I just got a used iPhone 1st generation. Was that a good move? Could I unlock it and use it with Verizon, my carrier?

This is an off-topic and non-repair-related question.

No, you definitely can't use it with Verizon. Sorry. As, far as if it was a good buy, that all depends on your preferences and what you like. Good luck with the phone.

I'm pretty sure you can take the sim card out and use it like a touch. It won't work as a phone but it's a fun portable gaming/internet device.

Can't use the GPS without a sim though

Well I'm not entirely sure that you could move to version with a iphone first you want to jail break your iphone then go with tmobile or AT&T thats the best answer that you can receive

Most Helpful Answer

As far as using it on a CDMA carrier like Verizon, the answer is no. Not only is it an issue with network compatibility (the iPhone 2G is GSM only) but carriers like Verizon restrict the phones they accept to an approved range of IMEI/ESN phones.

This is because Verizon is formerly a CDMA carrier. They are slowly becoming a GSM carrier but until they fully retire the CDMA network, this policy is probably here to stay. They have loosened it with phones like the 7 where Apple factory unlocked ones are accepted, but you can't unlock an AT&T iP7 and expect Verizon to accept​ it. They even have a restriction on Prepaid (Phone in a Box). These phones are locked and they cannot be used on postpaid for 1 year from activation. That's the only time they will allow users to unlock them and use them on the postpaid network.

Not only that, but they also refuse to fully unlock their iP4s. On the 4s, the GSM half remains locked, even if you get Verizon to unlock your phone. The iP5 has factory unlocked GSM, but that's because the FCC do not allow them to lock it.

As far as it being a useful phone you can use every day... I'm going to say no. EDGE networks are on the way out. At this point, the 2G is more of a shelf item.

Official Apple support thread on this topic

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3406

I printed out this page (HT3406), took it to ATT so they could switch my old SIM out (from 3g back to the original iPhone). Did that. Still could not get iTunes to recognize the phone without going through an ATT activation process. Went back to ATT and was told that my phone was "bricked" and need to be "un-bricked" and that they could not do that in the store. ATT lady said, "Call Apple". According to lady at ATT since my SIM card was moved to new phone it would no longer accomplish the goal as stated in support doc. HT3406. Thought about calling Apple but they want $30 for a phone call. So I still haven't given up doing it on my own.

You can buy 1st Generation mobile and you can also unlock your mobile,But you can use Verizon in your mobile if it is previously locked to any CDMA network Because Verizon is a CDMA Network.otherwise you can't use Verizon,you can use any GSM network.So You can Check whether it is locked to GSM or CDMA.If it's locked to CDMA network.You can buy that mobile and unlocked it by Remote unlocking in the site http://www.wickedunlock.com/ .They are cheap and reliable.I unlocked my iPhone in this site.So I recommend you to view this site.It will be very Helpful to you....

Horor, pretty good answer, but the question is over 2 years old and hopefully resolved.

For what it is worth.

I have a 1st gen iPhone left over after I upgraded to 3 g. I would really like to use its wifi capability for misc. internet and games (call it an iPod touch).

I was stopped by itunes when I plugged it in but was stopped because I didn't have a sim card. I bought a sim card from ifixit.

Next I was stopped by the activation screen of itunes. Itunes won't let me in to do anything with the device without activating with AT&T. I don't want to do this because I don't need phone capabilities and don't want the expense (minimum 2 year commitment).

Paid for a jailbreak program, downloaded, then got lost in a sea of other sites, other downloads, confusing steps. Needless to say not the 5 minute fix the site advertised.

Seems like a waste to not be able to get some use out of this neat little pocket device. It goes against a core value of ifixit, "waste not"

Good luck. I will drop elais a email

Mine was working fine until now it's new

Mario will be eternally grateful.