0

nick isaac
261

stripped iPhone 4 battery screw

I am fixing an iphone 4 for a friend and when i go to unscrew the battery it is stripped and ive searched for ways on how to fix it. Ive heard that there is a certain screw driver to fix it. I just need to get the screw out then i will replace it. Can somebody please help me figure out how to get this screw out or what is the name of the screw driver that will get this screw out?

Edited by: machead3 ( )

2

Matt Barnes

One way is to use a dremel and cut a slot in the top of the screw. Then use a flat-head screwdriver to take out the screw.

Edited by: Scott Dingle ( )

1

Scout
37

My boyfriend extracted the stripped screw that held the battery in place by using a pair of nail clippers as pliers. He gripped the edges of the screw with the head of the clippers (I can't remember if he used a concave or convex one but either should work) and twisted until it came loose, then replaced the battery as shown in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYvjuWg06...

The 4s battery swelled a year and a half after getting his phone, but when he took it to the Apple store the sales rep claimed they couldn't replace it due to a potential explosion and his only option was to buy a replacement phone (of course) for $150.

He ordered an iPhone battery replacement kit from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SJG...) and tried the screwdrivers that came in various repair kits but they were all too big, and also attempted the superglue method but couldn't get the screw to stick. Thankfully he was able to replace the battery after discovering the nail clippers could work as pliers, and nothing exploded (in yo face, Apple store!)

Hopefully you'll be able to replace the battery yourself instead of paying the Apple store any more $. Good luck

0

Brad

I would just carefully use the corner of a razor blade. Push it into the head of the screw, get some traction and unscrew it.

0

Omar Alzein
1

DO NOT BUY THE SCREW EXTRACTOR FOR IPHONE BATTERY!!! i just made that mistake and am still looking for another solution, none of the sizes work for the screw

0

dsquard2
1

skeece it left, skeece it right, if you skeece it more than just right, it might be too tight, skeece it up, skeece it down, if you skeece it hard youll be wearing a frown, skeece it sideways, skeece it longways, if you dont know what skeece means youll be havin a long day

0

David
1

You could ship it in to a iPhone repair shop if there's not one close to you.

0

larryvowell1
1

I have had luck as far as taking out small screws like these by getting a small piece of metal like a paper clip and open it up and super glue a small amount on it and then place it on the top of the screw and then u have something to turn it with also try that

poor people have poor ways heheahah

0

Andrew Young
1

My iPhone back cracked badly so I decided to buy a new back online. I had the tools to replace it so I thought it would be no big deal. When I went to take the bottom screws out, one was stripped. I looked everywhere and tried everything that I could do aside from buying anything or taking it anywhere. I got so fed up that I took a knife and just pryed the entire back off. I then had to essentially break the screw from the inside. I wouldn't recommend this way because there was glass everywhere and I almost punctured the battery, but it worked for me and now I have a stylish new aluminum backed iPhone 4.

0

Nicholas
1

The nail clippers worked for me on a completely stripped screwhead holding the iPhone 4 battery connector. Thanks for the great idea!

0

Linda
1

I thought mine was stripped too. Then I purchased a precision Screwdriver set from the Dollar Tree for $1 - pulled out the smallest phillips and voila! It worked! Getting out the battery was a bit of a chore-the plastic battery remover broke since the battery was double sided taped in.