Repair guides and support for motherboards and CPUs.

Single out the hardware error

Has anyone information for determining which component is giving trouble?

Situation: PC shuts down and does not power up anymore. Power LED alluminated but all that is active is the fan. How can I confirm that the power button is giving trouble?

Depending on your specific hardware. I would start off with a multimeter and see what the power supplies does. I have had PC's that did this with bad CPU's , CMOS that needed to be cleared as well as as bad Caps and numerous other errors.

Which pc? Model no. ?

Here is a link to a troubleshooting process to help determine your problem. If that doesn't clear your problem please google "PC shuts down and does not power up" for further links that may be a help to you.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbysymp...

I have replaced capacitors on several boards to bring them back to life. If any of the capacitors on the board are puffed up on top or are leaking; then that's the problem.

Just read the side of the capacitor to get the type and ohms. I get mine from mcm electronics. They carry a wide selection and good prices.

You un-solder the old one. Note the orientation before removing, that determines the +\- side. Solder in the new one.

That should do it. Most times there was more than one that popped. Check the board carefully. Good luck.

Bart Van Loosveldt will be eternally grateful.