The 3rd generation iPhone SE was announced on March 8th during the peek performance Apple event. It features an A15 chip and a 4.7 inch LCD display.

How to tell SE2 and SE3 apart without opening the device?

Are there any exterior differences between the two for quick identification? I work at a repair shop and people never know what phones they have, so quick identification of models is extremely useful.

Most Helpful Answer

One way would be plugging it in to your computer with coconut battery
And clicking IOS device and then device info,

If it says a15 its the 2022

But if it says a13 its the 2020

One other way to tell it’s the 2022 model “at first sight” is learn to notice those 3 new colours:

in good light midnight is bluish not black, starlight/silver frame has a creamy/amber tint to it and this year product red is much less bright ;-)

This is the answer I got from our suppler

“The biggest difference from the 2nd generation model - and pretty much only difference in terms of design - is that the iPhone SE 3 features tougher glass on the front and back as briefly mentioned, matching that of the iPhone 13. Otherwise, it's the same shell with the same single rear camera in the top left.”

Thanks for sharing this helpful answer. Now I’m going to bookmark this forum How to tell SE2 and SE3 apart without opening the device?.

Ask for the IMEI number, or model number from the settings menu.

I do this for any device. Amazing how many times people get their device wrong.

the amount of times that people have responded to me asking "what phone do you have?" with something along the lines of "Apple 9 Ultra" or something ridiculous like that is astonishing

Hi

I believe you can plug them into iTunes and it will tell you the device model and IMEI numbers whitch can be translated into the information that you need

Any questions please ask

Thanks:)

Also a way

but it does not say the IMEI number in itunes it only has a serial number

SE 2022 will say 5G instead of LTE

If you didn't know, there's a specific difference between the 2020 and 2022, pretty sure it's a tiny difference in the externals on the bottom of the outside of the phones, near the charging port.

To do this you can check the serial number or go into settings.

That involves opening the phone. OP is asking how to tell the difference WITHOUT doing this.

@Duane Thanks for replying I edited it

You can find the IMEI on the SIM tray. You can put the IMEI into imei.info to find out.

SE 2020 is 4grams lighter... You can weight them.... SE 2020 is 144gr and SE 2022 is 148gr .

TheRealTreezus will be eternally grateful.