Apple announced the Retina MacBook 2015, model A1534, on March 9, 2015 to launch on April 10. It has a new unibody construction and includes an updated trackpad, keyboard, and Retina display.

Why does my MacBook 12" A1534 say: Battery not installed?

In december 2021 I successfully replaced the battery in my Macbook 12” A1534. I followed the guide Retina MacBook 2015 Battery Replacement by @jeffsu to the letter (including Applying Low Voltage After Every Repair as needed for the Retina MacBook 2015 Only).

For two months it worked perfectly with a fully functioning new battery.

Now without any obvious reason or warning the Macbook cannot find the battery anymore. In “About this Mac > System Information > Power” it just says “Battery Installed: No”.

Here's a snapshot of CoconutBattery.

With the power cord attached the MacBook starts and works normally. There is just no battery indicator at all and without the power cord it shuts off completely.

I've reset PRAM and SMC several times with no change.

I've opened it up and checked the connector from the battery to the logic board. Detached and Reattached it. The same for the usb C connector to the logic board. After applying low voltage again for about an hour (just to be sure) there has been no “power chime” until I've connected the normal power adapter. Then it starts up again normally.

However, still no battery found by the system.

Any suggestions on what I can check out otherwise or do about it?

4 Comments:

I've read this thread with clear information from @reecee Perhaps you would have time to help me with some advice? Power on MacBook 12" A1534 without battery

@danj Since you've answered a similar question here How to test if logic board or battery is issue? (MB Air 13" mid '12)) perhaps you could help me out as well?

Let’s get a better view of things, install this gem of an app! CoconutBattery take a snapshot of the apps main window and post it here for us to see Adding images to an existing question

Thanks for the advice. I've added a snapshot of CoconutBattery to my question.

Sadly you need a new battery! This one has failed. I would contact the seller of the battery to get a replacement.

1 Comment:

Too bad. I bought the kit from MacBook 12" Retina (Early 2015) Battery so I'll ask them to see if they could send a replacement. It'll be a lot of work again to replace the new battery, but at least I know how to do it already ;)

Thanks for your quick responses and help so far.

Arie Machgeels van Ziel will be eternally grateful.