Complete disassembly and installation guides for most recent Mac laptops and consumer desktops.

Problem to transfer video to iMovie 8 (camcorder with a hard disk)

It worked greate earlier.

I have problem to transfer video from my Sony HDV camcorder with a hard disk drive. I'm using USB cabel. No scanning contents will appear as it did earlier.

I also have a portable hard drive with exported clips from the camera, it does not work as before. This must be a software problem... any suggestions.

Most Helpful Answer

Early model Macs (non-intel)

(you didn't specify your machine) only recognized Firewire DV in. If you had USB or Composite Video Audio out you needed a black box with a Firewire out to do iMovie.

Also you didn't specify the model of Sony DVD cam. http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-...?...

If you click the link:

"How to connect the camcorder to a computer running the Apple® Mac OS® operating system."

in the FAQ/KnowledgeBase you will see that:

The DVD Handycam® camcorder is not compatible with the Apple® Mac OS® operating system.

If this answer is acceptable please remember to mark it.

Good Luck,

N.

Have you checked that this camera is compatible with iMovie? Many sony camcorders, especially their HD ones, are not compatible with mac, usually you unfortunately have to install the drivers somehow by either virtualizing, emulating, or installing windows (on a partition).

How does the camcorder save the video?

Everything worked earlier. The problem is new, and the USB-cabel is ok!

So have you since modified your configuration at all? Software updates etc.?

Or has the camcorder or the card it uses to store data been damaged in any way?

Noppster will be eternally grateful.