Model A2159, EMC 3301. A refresh of the entry-level 13" MacBook Pro. Available in Silver and Space Gray. Released July 2019.

Screen problem with vertical lines

My Macbook Pro screen for seemingly no reason has developed a problem where it will intermittently be covered in vertical lines (see pics). I can fix it temporarily by closing the screen and opening it again but it will soon return. I think it’s a hardware issue because when connected to an external monitor it’s fine. Any ideas what’s causing it and how it can be fixed (and the cost)?

Sadly your internal display is damaged. Its likely something heavy was placed on it or it got a good bang.

Basically, the LCD panel has microscopic metal oxide traces which go to the discreet pixel similar on how cloth is woven (X & Y lines) here the bottom edge lines got damaged where the connection to the logic takes place. When the edges come close together it will work for a while as you noted.

Here’s the needed guide to replace it MacBook Pro 13" Two Thunderbolt Ports 2019 Display Assembly Replacement

iFixit is presently out of stock of the part, here’s one that’s available today 13” MacBook Pro Display Assembly - Space Grey, Apple P/N 661-12829

James Chandler will be eternally grateful.