The PlayStation 3 (or commonly known as the PS3) is the third home computer entertainment system produced by Sony Computer Entertainment, and the successor to the PlayStation 2. It was released November 11, 2006

three beeps and red flashing light

Hey everyone,

My playstation turns on for about 2 seconds, then beeps 3 times and I get a red flashing light.

Does anyone have any ides on how to fix this.

The red flashing light and the console down due to excessive heat. I believe what you are starting to see is the classic symptom of a very near YLOD. I would either try and repair it myself, using the guides from here Yellow Light of Death Repair and this part or get someone to do it for you. Good Luck

Did this work for you?

I performed this procedure because I had a "3 beeps, red light flashing" symptom that online research said means overheating. The unit ran without issue for 30 mins and then the same symptom returned. I have found others who experienced the same. So far, I haven't found anyone who actually resolved the issue for more than a few days. As an engineer, I know that attempting to reflow a BGA of this size using a heat gun is virtually impossible.

kenpery flip chip design and solder ball failure is the most common issue. You are right, any "heat treatment" is only a temporary fix at best.

Ok, you two. So I was young(ish) and got so frustrated and upset by the fact that the Sony rep told me it would be $300? To "repair" my PS3, which turns out I would've gotten a refurb. So a buddy and I tore it apart. Reflowed the CPU/gpu, applied thermal paste, and without the use of the blue ray driver, that lasted for 6 months? Then six months later? I did it the third time, then three months, three months, two months, two months, one month, continually having to reflow, then finally dead. Now, I could remove the processors, reball them, reapply, problem should be fixed. It seems the real culprit was the blu Ray driver

@theimedic possible that it was. Read about the reflow of the Xbox360 and PS3 Will the RROD kit fix this xbox? and see why it never really worked for long :-)

You are getting the red blinking lights on the PS3 because it is over heating. You might still be able to prevent more damage from occurring if you take apart the PS3 and clean out the fan. Usually dust clumps get stuck in there. If you keep using the PS3 like this, you will damage the board permanently!

Here is a useful guide

@kenpery Actually your assessment is not entirely correct.

I performed this procedure for a friend on a PS3 that had this exact same problem. When I was done, their PS3 lasted them for more than a year, so definitely more than just a few days. It can work, just may not work in all cases, or models.

Katy will be eternally grateful.