Released in November 2020, the 13" MacBook Air features Apple's Arm-based M1 SoC with an 8-core CPU and up to an 8-core GPU. (Model A2337 / EMC 3598 with two Thunderbolt 3 ports)

Is my MacBook Air deformed?

I got a new MacBook Air last week. After unpacking it, I noticed that the front right foot did not rest completely on the table (I tried several surfaces). There was about two sheets of paper space. This caused the MacBook to wobble minimally. I applied some pressure to the corner, and the problem was solved. Yesterday, I had the MacBook with me in my backpack, and when I got home, the front right foot was again not completely on the table. I was able to fix the problem again by applying slight pressure. However, my concern is that something on the MacBook is deformed and it keeps returning to the deformed stand. Could this be the case? Or does the aluminum not return to its original state? I really need the MacBook right now, so I would rather not return it because I have already had to wait several weeks for this one. However, if there is a chance that it is defective, I will definitely do it. What do you think?

Most Helpful Answer

The case can warp a bit when pressed unevenly within a backpack! So what you are seeing is this damaged caused but something resting on your system unevenly. Bottom line don’t force stuff your backpack and you should use a protective sleeve (I like the hard shell versions).

While your damage is not extreme to much pressure can damage the display!

Ok, thank you very much! So if the MacBook is straightened out now, I don't need to worry about it returning into the deformed state as long as I watch out that no uneven pressure is applied?

@atompersone - So bending a paperclip once is no big deal but bending it over and over again ...

NO!! You don't want to bend your system either to correct the damage or cause the damage. Just like the paper clip you'll weaken the case and worse could damage the display $$$$

Bottom line: Get the hard sided sleeve to hold your system in your backpack and don't over do your backpack - Gee I need 20 books but My back pack can't hold them all but I'll try!! Don't!

I have that exact issue but my Macbook Air hasn’t even left the house yet. It arrived here very well packaged and intact. I do not support the backpack theory.

I also do not wish to send it back for that, but it its at times quite annoying. I would not recommend trying to bend it right. Maybe it is just an overtightened screw, so I would try that first. If i cannot sort in out in the near future I might return it.

atompersona will be eternally grateful.