The MacBook family was first introduced in May 2006 and replaced the iBook as Apple's consumer laptop.

circle with a slash thru it

on starting it up it has an apple logo then turns to a circle with a slash thru it like a no symbol. what is this and what does it mean.

This means it's having trouble loading the OS

What you'll need to do is startup from a install disk by holding down C or Option at startup, then you can use disk utility to verify and repair the drive. If it can't be repaired then you'll need DiskWarrior to fix it, which essentially will fix the boot.efi file that's giving you trouble, it's always worked for me fixing boot issues, if it fails, that means you'll need a new hard drive, and possibly data recovery software if you don't have backups. If you can manage to boot or something, BACK EVERYTHING UP! Your HD could go at any minute with conditions like these. SuperDuper is good for cloning the whole drive, however you can also just copy whatever files you need to an external HD.

I was on the phone with just ask all day yesterday trying to fix my Mac.

The info I read here was slightly different than their help tips. They got me to point of reinstalling operating system and after almost 5 hrs still not good to go.

This is not working for me!

I get the apple and long great bar and it fills in and then the apple again with a grey bar that says "installing: about 31 minutes remaining"

Well that never changes!

I sure hope my hard drive is not going.

Stephanie will be eternally grateful.