Repair information for the Google Pixel 4a. Released on August 20th, 2020. Model number: GA02099-US.

Water detected in usb port

Hi, my pixel 4a got dropped into a toilet (briefly lol) and it seemed fine after. However, it soon gave me the “water in usb port” message and wouldn't charge. So I left it alone and, unfortunately, did not turn it off and the battery went dead. Now it has been 3 days and it still won't take a charge. It does go to the recovery selection screen if it's plugged in and I hold power and down, but it turns off withing 5-10 seconds or if I select any options.

Summary:

1. Water detected at usb port but still working
  2. Battery died and it turned off on its own
  3. Boots to recovery mode selection screen but shuts off when any selection is made

So the question is: will taking it apart and cleaning up the usb port have a chance at success? Or will I have to replace the battery as well as it may have depleted too far?

Thank you for any and all advice

Most Helpful Answer

Your battery should be fine especially if it was a brief dip in the toilet. It thinks there’s water in the port probably because of a short between a couple pins in the port. Try some rubbing alcohol on a toothbrush to scrub inside the port. You can gently push the bristles into the port to scrub the inside. Let it dry for a couple minutes and then try to charge it. If it continues you’ll probably need a charge port replacement.

Thankfully the port is on a separate daughter board which means replacing it is pretty easy. The downside is it takes after the 1st gen pixel design in that the screen needs to be lifted off to get to it. You’ll need to be really careful about removing it but you should order a replacement screen to have on hand as it’s quite easy to break.

Phil Hachey will be eternally grateful.