Released in October 2015. Model number: 80NV00D5PB

Problem with freezing keyboard

Hi there. I have issues with the keyboard. While I`m using a laptop the keyboard and touchpad stops working.

The OS is working fine I can still use a mouse or use emergency shut down button (just holding power button for 10 sec).

Later I restart my laptop and everything works fine again. The nearest service center didn`t help and gave me back my laptop. Hope there is still some solution.

Hi @zetaholmes ,

If possible try using a USB keyboard connected to the laptop to see if it does the same or whether it is related to the laptop's keyboard/touchpad.

Also if Win 10 is installed try starting in safe mode to see if the problem occurs. The screen will look different when it is in safe mode as the specific video drivers aren't installed only basic ones. This is normal

The first is to eliminate or prove a laptop hardware problem, the second is to prove or eliminate a driver problem.

In safe mode only "generic' Windows drivers are installed and although usually there are no specific keyboard drivers installed in normal mode sometimes specific touchpad manufacturer's drivers are. Again this is just to eliminate possible conflicts to try and narrow down what may be happening.

Does the problem generally occur or only when using certain programs etc?

SKIP THE UPGRADE

Save by fixing with an all-in-one kit.

Shop iPhone Fix Kits

SKIP THE UPGRADE

Save by fixing with an all-in-one kit.

Shop iPhone Fix Kits

Sorry to hear you’re having problems with your keyboard. This particular problem can indeed be an inconvinience.

Try these steps.

Solution 1

• On your search bar, type: Control Panel.
  • Select Device Manager
  • On the selection list, click on Keyboard.
  • It should expand to the name of the keyboard you have on your computer. Double click on that.
  • Click on the tab, Driver.
  • Click on Update.
  • Then click on “Search Automatically”
  • If an update is available, it will download it for you.
  • Restart your computer, and you should be good to go.

Solution 2

• Select Device Manager
  • Click on the tab, Driver.
  • Click on Uninstall Device.
  • Restart your system.
  • When you log back in, Windows should have recognized the keyboard and install it automatically again for you.
  • You’re good to go.

If for some reason these steps do not help, I’d recommend reaching out to Lenovo. You’ll only want to reset the whole computer on worse case scenario, but that too could be a solution.

Hope these steps help. Feel free to reach out if you have additional questions.

Alex H.

Thanks for the guide. I will try it and let you know if it worked. Cheers.

Zeta Holmes will be eternally grateful.