iPhone 3GS

Revamped version of the iPhone 3G with faster processing speeds. Repair of this device is similar to the 3G, and requires simple screwdrivers and prying tools. Model A1303 / 16 or 32 GB capacity / black or white plastic back.

How to turn off an iPhone 3GS without using the power-button?

Hello there,

This is my first post here, so I apologize in advance if I missed something. It's a rather practical question.

Is there a way to turn off the Iphone (3GS in my case) without using the power button? The button works physical - i can press it (feels normally) - but to no effect. Since I don't want to open it while it is still powered on so I wonder if there is an alternative to waiting until the battery runs out and the phone turns off by itself.

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks alot for the swift reply! Worked for me, still I'm wondering if there is an other way in case the buttons gone for good.

by pgo

it's usually the plastic part not the flex that is damaged..splits where it screws on to bezel. You could replace that part..not too hard to do..?

by pollytintop

Try squeezing the top of the screen and the back together (gently) near the power button. Then press the power button. This often works if the connection is loose. Do this gently, though, as you don't want to damage your screen!

Excellent!! IT worked!!

by kkupton

Go to Settings on your ipod , iphone ect.. go down to General, then Accessibility, then go down to Assistive Touch. Tap the Assistive Touch ON. Exit Settings and at the bottom right of your screen you will find a round button. Press it to enter Assistive Touch. Press the Device Button on the right. Now PRESS AND HOLD the Lock Screen Symbol until the Power Down Slider appears at the top of the screen. Slide to the right to power off.

If you have ios 5.1 you could go to setting on your ipod , iphone ect.. go down to general then accessibility then go down to assistive touch after that when your in assistive touch click on, then you would have a square box, then click the box then go to device then lock screen.

IPOD DUMMY.....

If you put iPhone into Recovery Mode with TinyUmbrella, then disconnect the iPhone, it will turn OFF in 30 seconds. To turn on iPhone, connect to computer or wall charger it will turn on immediately. With the TinyUmbrella trick, you will need TinyUmbrella to kick the iPhone out of Recovery Mode, after you turn it back on.

If the button has failed altogether, you can also use RecBoot to put your phone in recovery mode. Like Brad says, while in recovery mode, if you unplug it, it will turn off after a while. To turn it back on, plug back in and use RecBoot again to bring it out of recovery mode.

Not exactly an everyday solution, but should work if you want to take it apart without having to run the battery down completely. :)

One way is to jailbreak your iPhone and use "SBsettings". There is a button to "Power off" your Phone.

You can load it from Cydia.

Exactly as Michael Adamczyk said. If you jailbreak the phone and use SB settings, you can turn it off from there... Question is though, if the button does not work, how will you turn it back on when its off? Itunes...?

by Terry

you need to turn your phone off to jailbreak it

In order to Jailbreak you NEED the sleep butten for entering DFU mode This is a lost cause just smash the phone!

try this for DFU without powerbutton::

http://www.ijailbreak.com/how-to/enter-d...

on tyniumbrella press enter recovry then exit it and evry thing will ok

pgo will be eternally grateful.