Released on July 21, 2011. Core i5 or Core i7 Processor. Thunderbolt. This unit is also used to run the Mac Mini Server configuration.

Why is the HD wrapped in a black cover?

The hard drive in the Mac Mini 2011 comes wrapped in a black paper or plastic cover. Why? What purpose does it serve?

Most importantly, is it necessary to wrap a replacement-SSD in this cover? Thanks!

This is to protect the circuit board from shorting

A SSD board is internal, so it is unneeded, keep the old drive on hand and leave it on that drive

There is no thermal sensor on the hard drive in the mid 2011 Mac Mini.

Anyone know where i can buy one? I ripped mine into pieces during a drive swap. I need another one.

You can tape it together, you can't replace the cover-you need an Apple official drive t get another sheet like this

Any high melting point sheet of plastic (Mylar) will do. What is important that it not be too thin that it can be punctured causing a short. between the drive and the logic board.

Jacob will be eternally grateful.