Display hinge click when closing lid
My MacBook Pro 16” (CTO) that I bought in early December started clicking randomly in the left side of the display hinge when closing the lid and 100% silent on the right side.
To make it clear i’ll make a description of the issue:
- Click sounds exactly like a metallic spring under tension, only clicks once and sometimes twice.
- Occurs around 30 / 50 degrees angle, always around those two angles.
- Only occurs when CLOSING the lid and when doing it “gently”.
- Sometimes the lid is completely silent when closing and sometimes it clicks every time.
- The clicking has in the last 2 days disappeared on the left side and now only occurs on the right side.
- Display hinge feels 100% smooth and is not loose, feels similar to my 2015 15” in terms of how firm the hinge is.
- The display lid aligns perfectly with the rest of the laptop, does not move or shift when clicking so I could physically feel the click.
- Seems to occur more frequent when the laptop is in colder room temperatures or have been closed during the night.
My guess is that that the spring for the display hinge gets stuck or something around 30*/50* angle which results in a click when it moves, can it be due to insufficient lubrication of the hinge?
Is this a common issue with the 16” since I tested it on two display models in a store and they both made a similar noise.
Is there anyway of fixing it myself? I got AppleCare so if its annoying enough ill bring it in.
Is this a good question?