{A1989 / EMC3214}—Released in July 2018, the 13" MacBook Pro features quad-core i5 and i7 processors and Intel Iris Plus integrated graphics.

Why has True Tone disappeared after screen replacement?

Replaced LCD assembly (with correct 2018 screen) on MacBook Pro Touch Bar 2018. I noticed after reassembly that the Touch Bar is constantly on full brightness, and the keyboard backlight is always off.

While trying to troubleshoot the ambient light sensor, I went to check if True Tone was enabled or disabled, and noticed the “Automatically Adjust Brightness” and “True Tone” options have vanished entirely from Display Preferences.

What’s happened?

What was the P/N of the display you put in and where did you get it? It sounds like you got the wrong display assembly.

Thanks Dan. I believe it's 661-10037 but is there a way I can independently verify that on the actual hardware?

I've noticed the keyboard backlight settings have also disappeared from the Keyboard System Preferences window - even those that don't seem to rely on the ambient light sensor. The keyboard brightness buttons are still on the Touch Bar but don't do anything.

Android Fix Kits

A new screen or battery is one kit away.

Android Fix Kits

Most Helpful Answer

What I can tell you is the 18/19 use a very different display than the older models. What happens is people use the older one 16/17 which is cheaper and if it came from a parts system will have the shorter backlight cable.

Here’s the correct display assembly:

This is what you likely got even though the P/N you gave me is the 18/19 Space Grey display assembly. The only other possibility the part was either mis-binned or the part was mis-marked.

It's possible. The part was comprehensively labelled as an A1989 (rather than A1706) replacement, and looked in every way similar to the one I removed.

Is there any way visually or through the OS to identify which of these two the screen actually is?

Sorry I don't of any way physically as the display assembly looks the same.

I don't have a system presently so I can't tell you if this works but you could look at the displays config info in System Report under About This Mac and then going to Graphics/Displays see what it tells you.

Stuart Mc will be eternally grateful.