2

AussieMac
405

Finder keeps relaunching?

After changing the language settings so that I could type in Japanese etc. when I restarted the computer finder would keep relaunching itself. Any ideas as to why this might happen?

Edited by: Sterling Hirsh ( ) , Kyle Wiens ( )

2

mjuergens
175

Did you use any of the delocalizer programs that are available? You might have removed the language packs. I'd try an archive and install using the original OS disk. Once that is complete, re-apply the updates. Once you're satisfied everything is working, you'll need to re-add any printers and delete the Previous Systems folder in the root of the hard drive.

Edited by: Sterling Hirsh ( )

Reinstalling the OS would definitely work, but seems like a last resort. I wonder if reinstalling OS X over the top (without an archive) would do the same thing. Or just installing Japanese language support from the extras in the install disk.

Kyle Wiens,

Kyle, There are only 3 options. Install (Upgrade), Archive&Install, Erase and Install. An archive&install takes about 45minutes(ish). If the finder is crashing it's difficult to install the language packs.

mjuergens,

2

colleenthompson

In the past, this has been due to an old version of Stuffit. Try either updating to the latest version (search on "stuffit" at versiontracker.com), or uninstalling. A simple delete probably won't work, you need an uninstaller.

1

Demon
227

I would try and do a permissions repair for a start. ( utilities / disk utility ) then reboot .

If that fails it could be a corrupted language in the system. Try reselecting English as the primary language. Reboot the system and see what Finder does. If Finder returns to normal It's a corrupt language and I would suggest reinstalling the OS.

This should then solve the issue

1

bmalam
31

I've encountered this problem twice, and both times it was Stuffit that was causing the problem. Did a complete uninstall and problem solved. Check Activity Monitor to see if anything is hanging up...

1

Danno
247

This is definitely caused by STUFFIT. Don't remember the fix, but found answers online.

0

Antonello Marafioti
1

I deleted the user where the problem happened

0

Dmitriy Bogatov
1

Hi guys!

I had this problem on Mavericks today and spent 4 hours dealing with it. I have tried EVERYTHING:

• deleting finder prefrences
  • deleting .DS_Strore files
  • cleaning desktop
  • login as a guest
  • login in safe mode
  • even reinstalling OS X (not clean install, though)

nothing helped.

But, eventually, I saw the post in Google groups, and it solved my problem. Solution is to obvoius.

GOOGLE DRIVE WAS THE PROBLEM. Indeed, Google Drive very closely works with finder, and, as I suppouse, at some point they had conflict, which made finder relaunch all the time.

So, I quit GoogleDrive and even without restarting Finder started workiking normally.

P.S. I was even ready to buy external drive to make backup and make clean install.

Hope, it will help you!