A series of Gigabit NAS desktop drives of 1TB, 2TB, and 3TB varieties, made by WD in 2010.

does not power up and totally dead

i was using it a couple days before and everything is normal. then, when i try to plug it again on my laptop, it does not power up. not pretty sure if it is the power supply. I checked my usb cable and it seems its okay… what might be the problem?

Android Fix Kits

A new screen or battery is one kit away.

Android Fix Kits

Most Helpful Answer

Use this teardown to open it up and remove the hard drive:

Western Digital My Book Live Teardown

You can now try it ion a new enclosure.

External Drive Enclosures

Make sure this isn’t a WD Ware drive. You can ID these by how new it is - Ware became a problem in 2010 and possibly a few 2009 drives. If it shows as blank in a generic enclosure, it is a Ware drive and you can’t recover the data by dumping the crappy WD USB bridge.

The problem with WD Ware is the WD PCB is needed to decrypt the drive - BUT from what I understand it doesn’t always matter where the PCB came from, as long as the model of the drives on the case match - I think the capacity can even be different but it’s better to do a 1:1 capacity match (Ex: 2TB failed with a used 2TB Live). HOWEVER, if it is unique per drive on the newer Ware drives, this can potentially invalidate the key and you will lose your data. I would try and repair the PCB if you can do so or move the chips that are known to have the keys to the donor PCB - once you have the data on another (non HW encrypted custom built!) drive, you can then reuse the drive from the bad enclosure as the key no longer matters.

jopie will be eternally grateful.