1.6 or 1.8 GHz dual-core processor, 2 GB or 4 GB of SDRAM, 64 GB or 128 GB SSD

Upgrading Memory on MacBook Air 2011 11 inch Model

This one is quick,

is there a chance to upgrade macbook air mid 2011, 11.6 model DDR3 RAM from 2GB to 4GB?

No, the RAM is soldered onto the Logic Board. Only the SSD is replaceable/upgradeable.

I work at an Apple Store, I'm an Apple Genius. You CAN NOT upgrade the RAM on a MacBook Air. Any year, any screen, any time.

The ONLY way you can upgrade the RAM would be to replace the complete logic board to a higher capacity logic board. With either the 2GB 11" or 13" models. Thats a $800+ job. Good luck!

But in this situation he (or she) is correct...

You can swap it out through the magic of soldering, but absolutely positively not worth the time. Been there, done that, NOT WORTH IT.

To the "Apple Genius": Good to know, but, if i were the "Apple Genius", I wouldn't be so freaking happy about giving the bad news. This !#^&@! me off and makes me want to go back to a PC/Laptop instead of buying a new macbook air just to keep from spending any more money with Apple. Show that you care or at least show that you understand that you are sending a message that says "oh well - too freaking bad, you're going to have to pay a lot of money either way". You might be an "Apple Genius", but you are NO "Sales Genius". - DUPED BY APPLE - WTF

@AATNET - Apples direction with memory is clear here. The air, the retina series MacBook Pro's and the new MacBook as well as a few of the newer iMac's all have soldered to the logic board RAM. There is two reasons they are moving this way: The first is speed, the latest gen of RAM needs shorter distances and less signal errors. The second is space, Apple prides it's self on making thin devices which limits the ability to have removable RAM. I should point out other vendors are also moving this way Apple is just at the front of the curve.

AATNET Chill, please. I remember when I bought the Air that I specifically paid the extra $100 for the extra memory because the sales girl told me there was no way to upgrade. Now a secret way to upgrade. Next time you are in Beijing go to ZhongGuanCun and pay a Chinese guy about $100 to upgrade your memory by soldering some chips on to your logic board. It can be upgraded but the guy soldering needs real skill as too much heat will fry the RAM.

MacBook Air '11 logic board (backside)

Note the two rows of chips on the bottom edge these of the DRAM chips which are soldered to the logic board and can't be swapped out.

China in Huang Xiang Bei recently can upgrade the iPhone Storage from 16Gb to 128 with $60 only (you can search this in Youtube), I presume it will be done for Macbook Air as iPhone is more complex

*Macbook Air 13" Mid'11/1.8Ghz Intel i7/4GB/256GB

A lot more chips ;-} Not worth it.

Here it's how it's done: "How To Upgrade RAM On MacBook Air?"

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTsEJ49L...

Seems complicated though.

Ah, check out the cost-saving secret trick above that lets you upgrade RAM on an older Air though. You can get it done for only $100. Plus the price of a plane ticket to Beijing.

=== Update (08/20/2016) ===

mr apple genius https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTsEJ49L...

enjoy....yes i can replace my macbook air ram and i did it to my macbook air late 2011 4gb..now i have 8gb of ram thanks to the great guy in the video

I have a MacBook Air 11 inch mid 2011, and I just upgraded from a 64 GB to 256 GB. The mid 2011 are the only one that can be upgraded. There is kid that you can use and they give you a external case, so you can still use your SSD card. I am going to try upgrading the memory. If I am successful I will let you know.

chintan shah will be eternally grateful.