0

Dominic
1

Can the HDD be replaced with a SSD

Is there a SSD compatible with the iPod Classic?

Edited by: Sam Lionheart ( ) , oldturkey03 and Mike ( ) , oldturkey03, rj713, and rab777hp ( )

3

Chris Green

Yes, you can use a 1.8" "ZIF" SSD in your iPod, such as this one, however, since they are thinner than the "Fat" hard drive in your model of iPod, you may need to find a way to secure it inside the case to prevent rattling.

Thanks Chris, that is a good starting point. Ideally, I don't want to lose that much of the capacity, anything > 100GB that you are aware of?

Dominic,

You can get a 128GB SSD and maybe a 256GB SSD, but they're not cheap.

Chris Green,

Dominic, did you mean to accept the answer that helped you? Right now you accepted your comment as an answer.....;-)

Hey OldTurkey. I know, ridiculous isn't it, but I could not see how to accept the response from Chris Green. Perhaps, thinks I, the system will accept the most recent comment? Obviously not. Oddly enough, I returned to the site on receipt of the email from Chris and his response was not even there. After refreshing the page, clicking on his page, returning, switching between views etc it eventually appeared.

Dominic,

1

Jeff Walther
13

A couple of years later, a less expensive solution is to get the Sintech PA6007 1.8" ZIF/IDE to mSATA adapter and mount a standard mSATA SSD on it.

The Sintech adapter is about $15 on Ebay, $20 on Amazon, and I've seen it as low as $10 around the web. The interfaces are all proper, but I'm not sure if there are power demand issues.

240GB mSATA SSDs have been turning up at Holiday sales this year (2013) as low as $130 -- mainly at Amazon and Newegg.

So for under $150 one can get 240 GB of storage.

Of course, just before the Toshiba MK2431 was discontinued, one could get 240 GB of much slower storage for ~ $75.

Thanks, Jeff! I was looking for a solution like that. I just ordered the mSATA and adapter. I work in an area where they do allow iPods, but do NOT allow anything with a radio (bluetooth, WiFi). Sadly, I have no hope that Apple will remake the Classic with an SSD. The 6th Gen Nano works, but it's only 16GB. If this mSATA solution works, I will probably end up getting a few Classics and 'upgrading' them.

John Kalla,

I'm glad I was able to help. Watch the cable orientation. I had the cable upside down at first, and, of course, that doesn't work. The tricky bit is that I carefully compared the cable orientation on the original hard drive to the cable orientation I used on the adapter and was sure I had it correct. It turns out, on more careful examination, the cable connector on hard drives is actually mounted on the back-side (from you) of the board and protrudes through a cut-out in the end of the board. So the cable connector on the hard drive is actually upside down to how it looks on first examination.

Jeff Walther,

Hi, Jeff. I stumbled across your replies while trying to figure out the best way to upgrade my hard drive after my Ipod screen started displaying the red x. I have replaced my battery and upgraded the hard drive using the adapter you suggested with Crucial 120gb mSATA SSD. The Ipod screen is still displaying the red x. I've checked cable connections and reversed them to verify, but nothing seems to help. Do you have any other reccommendations? Thanks so much!

tbull05,

0

John Kalla
1

I had the same issue. The second time I took it apart, I ripped one of the ribbon cable connections from the motherboard and ended up scrapping the entire iPod. I have a ZIF converter and a 128GB mSSD if somebody wants it!

Can i have the ssd and the conventer pleasejohn please i need it so bad!!

emirdemirovski,

If you still have those, would you mind giving them to me? Thanks so much!

Jacob Schooley,

can i have the ssd converter or tell me the converter that i need for the 5th ten 30gb ipod classic

Matthew De Leon,

0

Jonathan Cooksey
1

sooooooooo would this work? for the 'thick' version ipod classic 6th gen 160GB? or naw?

0

thereddrag0n
105

Now this would be a good one, a bit expensive though, but totally worth it.

A 1TB iPod Classic!

SAMSUNG 840 EVO mSATA

I'm not sure how much storage the Classic models can address. For example, according to a forum post I saw elsewhere (ipodwizard.net), the 5.5 Gen iPods can only address to 240 GB, so I'd be hesitant about buying an expensive SSD for this kind of brain surgery without being sure that it will work in a particular model.

josehill,

0

Richard Austen
1

The 1Tb option has been tested here http://www.tarkan.info/20141029/tutorial...

Edited by: Andrew Optimus Goldberg ( ) , iRobot ( )

0

jamesedwards3
1

this there an adapter that is need to connect the SSD drive to the iPod? also what are the specs that are needed in the SSD or can any 1.8" can be used?

i'm pretty sure you need a special zif connection, aka the ipod 5th gen aka ipod photo or later that uses that zif connection. best bet would be an adapter similar to this.. http://tinyurl.com/n3dy6vp

thereddrag0n,