Repair guides and support for vacuums by Dyson, including upright, canister, and handheld vacuums.

How do I recline the handle on a Dyson dc28 vacuum?

The handle won't recline so the power bar engages for floor vacuuming.

There is no button or lever on a Dyson DC28. Simply place your foot on the head and lean the handle back. If it will not lean back, then there is an issue with the vacuum that requires repair.

Thanks! You saved me!

Most Helpful Answer

i had the same problem with the dc 28...i spoke to a local vacuum repairman who told me to squirt lubrication on the release lever. you can do it from above, i.e. if you are looking down on the vacuum. the lever is located in the center of the vacuum. squirt the lubricant in the groove between the motor housing and the part that reclines, halfway between the edges. wipe off the excess lubricant. worked like a charm for me. if it doesn't release immediately, you can reach the lever from underneath and pry it up with a screwdriver. as you look at it from the bottom, the lever is located at the medial (middle) border of the motor housing, at the frontmost extent (ie. toward where the brushes are). it is black, and has a notch on either side. point the screwdriver straight in (i.e. not from the side), put it under one of these notches, and lift up. that will disengage the release lever. once you've lubricated it, it should free it up henceforth

Thank you !!!!!! Fixed the problem. Works great now. The Dyson support website was not help but you were. Thanks again!!

Thank you very much. Problem fixed! Your instructions were accurate. Thanks again.

worked! thanks so much, I will maintain it regularly

Thank you. Perfect. Worked with no force after your fix.

Thank you one squirt of WD 40 and all solved

Go here. On the right open the users guide: http://www.dyson.com/support/help.asp?ar...

I certainly hope the machine works better than trying to understand this manual.

it does not tell anything about reclinning the handle..

I'm sorry the manufacturers manual is so bad. Take it back to where you got it and see if you can get some help there.

I have the DC17 animal. It got so hard to release the handle, I thought I would break the handle off! On this vacuum, I turned it upside down & the release was a plastic against plastic piece by the right side front wheel (as you are looking at the vacuum from underneath with it lying on the handle) All I had to do was put a drop of household oil in the plastic/on/plastic joint & it releases like a champ!

This is why I came to the site. My DC17 started making a loud snap when reclining.

Who would have thought about oiling plastic! Tip, if you don't have WD40, it would be worth it to go buy some. I had to use machine oil with a tiny tip & got it on more than I wanted. I am so glad I found this FIX…thank you!!

I was looking for a release button to get the handle to recline. Since I did not see one, I finally put my foot on the top of the vacuum head on the floor and pulled back on the handle. The vacuum head released from the latch holding the body upright and away we went vacuuming.

gerri will be eternally grateful.