Originally known as "The New iMac" the iMac G4 was created to replace the iMac G3 as Apple's all-in-one desktop computer. The G4 is easily recognizable by its swiveling monitor mounted above the hemispherical computer. Steve Jobs quoted it as being "a design that will last till the next decade."

137 Questions View all

I need a new socket connecting the monitor to the board.

Hi everyone,

I need a new part connecting the monitor to the board for my "hemispherical" iMac G4. If someone knows where I can locate this part would you please let me know? Thanks for support,

Albert Pardo


Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0


First we need to know which machine you have. Look on the bottom of the stand for the speed of your machine.


sorry for the late reply, it is a 15 inch one with 700mhz. The technician told me that I need to change the whole flat panel as it is not possible to change the cable between the flat panel and the board. He says that there is no socket type connection to prevent any possible change of the cable. Is this true? What can be done? many thanks, albert


Add a comment

2 Answers

Chosen Solution

Sorry I haven't finished this guide but I put it up for you. In step 4, does this look like your's? : iMac G4 17 800 MHz EMC 1936 Battery Replacement

I haven't torn it down enough to completely examine this cable but I can see it running into the neck. I'll go take the monitor apart and see where it terminates and let you know. If it's not soldered onto the display panal I don't know why you couldn't replace it. It may be a job feeding it through the neck.


I removed the screen and as I suspected, the cable plugs right into the middle of the LCD.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 1
Add a comment

Albert, I don't know if you've solved this problem yet. I am wondering - do you mean the part that connects to the LCD at the top or the part that connects to the motherboard at the bottom?

The part at the top is a standard 30 pin LCD JAE connector. If you go to ebay and search for LVDS cable, you will find several cables that have the same 30 pin connector that you can use.

The bottom that connects to the motherboard is also a type of JAE - but female connector. You can buy the receptacle from online suppliers such as mouser or digikey, the name of the receptive is: 656-FI-WE21P-HFE

However its tiny and difficult to work with. Worst case scenario you could always buy a replacement neck on ebay.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

Add your answer

ALBERT PARDO will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 0

Past 30 Days: 1

All Time: 616