Apple announced the Retina MacBook 2015, model A1534, on March 9, 2015 to launch on April 10. It has a new unibody construction and includes an updated trackpad, keyboard, and Retina display.

What is wrong with my retina screen? extrem ghosting in 5 min.

A few minutes after I turn on the macbook, my display ghosts very much. Does anyone know why?

I have the exact same issue, but it has been developing over time (getting worst of course), first there were a very lightly vertical shadow bar, almost imperceptible that started after 9 months of use, then that bar switched places across the screen sometimes darker some lighter some none at all, then after one year and a half my screen got a bad color scheme mostly with gray and white tones which changed white to some kind of bluish gray and gray to pinky shadows, working with color schemes fixed the issue temporally in combination with night shift, then everything returned to normal after some 6 months of use, but after two hours my screen starts to behave weirdly, yesterday I used my MacBook in a conference all day and it got a very nasty color scheme and very critical image persistence, i am hoping that my Mac returns to normal after a couple of days, she’s a very sensitive and susceptible machine you know haha, by the way i have a late 2016 MacBook 12”, i think the most forward repair is to replace the screen but it is like an $600 to $800, it is just not worth it, I’ll keep dealing with my Mac feelings

Did you get your macbook fixed? I’m facing this issue, ghosting for a month and then it returned back to normal for a week already. I fear it’ll ghost again.

Sorry but no, it's just not worth it, like $800 for a repair of a discontinued macbook 12! i prefer to keep dealing with it until it dies, tinkering with the color scheme help me a little bit with the image persistence, but it comes and goes randomly

I have the same problem, and it is a late 2015 model Macbook.. Very disappointed to see the severe image persistence as I am not really a heavy user of it. Now it seems worthless, as annoying to use and expensive to replace the screen…

I have the same problem on my macbook retina 12”

is there any kind of service program by apple for this issue?

they told me that the only way is to change the display for hundreds of €…

Crazy….

Most Helpful Answer

Here’s an article about the issue: Avoiding image persistence on Apple displays. And some temporary fixes.

Most of the time a new display can fix the issue.

This has been fixed by a reddit user. The fix is documented here, I can confirm it worked perfectly on my 2014 27" 5K iMac with the original LG panel and severe ghosting effect, now gone:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/bj...

“Hello,

Firstly, I know this is an old issue that most probably does not affect the majority of current Macbook users. However, I thought I would post here just in case this helps someone, as a current MBPR 2012 owner this issue has been driving me crazy but I've finally figured out a way to stop it from happening. And it's really simple:

Go to System Preferences -> Displays -> (Built-in Retina Display) Colour tab -> Calibrate...

In Calibration, drag the white point slider to the far right (most blue light). This causes the screen to become extremely blue, so to cancel this out:

Select Night shift, adjust warmth to preferred level (far right for best results), and set up the night shift schedule to always be on.

Essentially what this does is makes the display dimmer by applying two filters that counter act each other. As a result, the pixels themselves emit less 'light' or colour, and are not driven to the point at which colour retention occurs.

I hope this helps my fellow LG screen MBPR 2012 users out there. This machine is still a beast in many ways and deserves to be treated as such. Shame that Apple won't fix what is essentially their production fault on a laptop that RRPd for £2000.

Thank you for reading!”

This does not work and if it does it's only for light ghosting.

I’ve had this problem too on a late 2013 iMac, and I recently discovered that one thing that seems to get rid of the ghosted windows almost immediately is using f.lux to switch to darkroom mode. I tried that on a whim after restarting didn’t work and the ghosted windows vanished, even after switching back to normal mode. Maybe worth a shot!

Hi there, before you'll try a high complexity surgery with your device, please try this, it’s free and super easy... I've found that I can fix easily this issue installing Macs Fan control free version. The problem of display ghosting is related directly with the internal temperature of your device. You've got to install that application and play arround a little with it and in a few hours running on to a high RPM velocity you'll suprised that the ghosting will dissapear, you got to be a little patient. When you check that ghosting finally dissapears, next you'll have to find for a RPM range that best fits your device performance in order to run the fan system smoothly silent and without this ghosting image. I will never buy a Mac's again there are really beautifull but always has serious problems with their hardware. I’ll be glad to hear if it’s works for you too, Cheers from Argentina!!

Have you tried SMC and NVRAM reset if after doing this you are facing an issue then there is a logic board or display error.

It didn‘t worked, how can i find out if it’s a logic Board or Display error or is there no other way then to ship it Apple ?

appears to be a software-hardware issue. not monitor. As I have 2 MacBooks and switches displays. one does it the other does not do this ghosting. 1 MacBook is newer and that was has the issue.

This is when for external LG 5k display only. internal laptop display is ok.

sorry but I don't undestood your situation.

have you got a 12" macbook with ghosting problem?

have you tried to switch the monitors disassembling it?

switching the monitors the macbobbok with the original issue replicates the problem with the new monitor?

Thank for replying

Ivan

Hi!

Have seen this happen on LG (IPS) panels when:

• seasons are changing … happens for a few days … more likely when there is static charge around (dry weather)
  • there is temperature difference of several degrees (C) … chassis is much colder than the ambient surroundings

In order to get a quick fix:

• run “IPS fix” video on YouTube … for few minutes … with overdrive on if available

Hope this helps!

Score -1

Actually, you do not need that specific video: any 5 min.+ youtube video will do the trick! Just try it!

Yes that is true! Have tried other videos like "Plasma" that are supposedly for fixing burn-in issues, but, work in this case as well. It's like the crystals just need some exercise to remain flexible!

Something to add is that not all videos contain warnings for those suffering from Photosensitive Epilepsy and may cause a seizure!

JohnO. will be eternally grateful.