Released June 2012 / Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost / Up to 1 GB DDR5 Video RAM

Does Late 2012 model support PCIe/NVMe SSD?

I was wondering if I could upgrade my existing MacBook Pro Late 2012 with Samsung 970 PCIe/NVMe SSD.

Most Helpful Answer

To my knowledge, No

It does support standard 2.5” SSD’s though.

There’s no way to connect it to a Gen 3 x4 PCIe lanes within the PCH.

I don’t even think your CPU/PCH has support for that, back then it would have been AHCI/PCIe Gen 2 which is much slower then what your M.2 needs, even if you could connect it…

The most speed you can get will be from Samsung Pro SSDs, optimized with Samsung magician in RAID 0, still very fast.

I would also do a RAM upgrade to 16 GB if you haven’t done that already. Even if you decide to use only one SSD and upgrade the RAM this will give you the best performance gain for the money.

I have a mid 2012 MacBook Pro with 4gb ram. I need it upgraded to 16gb but the officials say it takes up to 8gb max. Is that so?, And also I may do upgrade my hdd to ssd...is that a complex process ? Pls let me know how to install an SSD in place of hdd

Would the Macbook Pro work with the StarTech M.2 to U.2 (SFF-8639) Adapter for M.2 PCIe NVMe SSDs ?

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/startec...

I want to try that, I will probably.... if I do, I will let you know.

Hey did this connector worked, I also want to Use the 970 evo plus with my 2012 Macbook Pro?

Hi, did anyone try it?

This will not work as the port it connects to is still SATA. All the nvme ssd use a special port which connects directly to cpu.

Keith Chirayus will be eternally grateful.