Released September 16, 2016. Models A1661, A1784, and A1785. Available in 32, 128, or 256 GB configurations in Rose gold, gold, silver, black, jet black, and (Product)Red.

Home button not working? Does it need Logic board soldering? iPhone 7

Bought the iPhone used and the home button did not work at all, but I did manage to get to work (Don't ask how) but then stopped working, It is as if the phone doesn't know the home button is there!

Took it down to my local repair shop and they tried a new screen no luck. They then soldered a new connector on the home button itself but still no luck. But now when the home button is connected the phone goes into a bootloop. They told me that the home button itself is just gone. I contacted a few other places and they said that the Touch ID connector on the logic board needs replacing, is this true ? or would it be a waste of time.

Thank you!!

Maybe a defective home button, ifixit has a repair one

If the home button didn't work, then you got it to work, then it stopped working again, "don't ask how you got it to work" is kind of the opposite thing that needs to happen there.

Soldering a new connector on the home button is very delicate work; most shops will simply replace the home button assembly as a unit. Are you sure that's what they did? Also note that replacing the home button will disable Touch ID; the home button is keyed to the motherboard so replacing it will break that association.

Without knowing exactly what your phone has gone through, any attempt at diagnosis here is going to be little more than a guess.

Most Helpful Answer

The iPhone 7 Home Button can be repaired under certain circumstances. Without seeing your HB flex though, it’s impossible for me to say if yours is one of them. You also can’t replace the HB as the ones that are being sold are for cosmetic purposes only…they fill the hole in the screen, that’s all.

If the HB flex can’t be repaired, then the only other option is having Apple replace the screen and button. They can program a new button. However, if you phone shows signs of work and has a replacement screen, they can refuse the repair.

Hamza will be eternally grateful.