Revamped version of the iPhone 3G with faster processing speeds. Repair of this device is similar to the 3G, and requires simple screwdrivers and prying tools. Model A1303 / 16 or 32 GB capacity / black or white plastic back.

do I need to be grounded when replacing the back cover?

i have to replace my white backing cover for my 3gs. i was wondering if when doing so i need to be grounded so i dont destroy the phone, especially as i am dealing with the memory and mother board unit.

Short answer: no.

Long(er) answer: This is mainly just an issue with desktop computers, when you have the tower opened and if you become charged (do not work on a carpet!) and you touch a PCI port they commonly get fried. Still, I don't wear a grounding strap when working on computers or other electronics, and mainly just use common sense. Just swapping out the rear panel you do NOT need to wear a grounding strap.

though just remember you're liable for any and all damage you incur whilst performing your own repair.

I never wear a grounding strap.... Just make sure you "slide to power off " before removing LCD or it will blow...

Also, if you're uber-paranoid you can work on an antistatic sheet (just cut open an antistatic bag)

josh will be eternally grateful.