Mower is stuck in neutral gear

Took the mower up an incline and came back down. You cannot shift to forward or reverse. Mower on or off. It will not move. You usually can push the mower anywhere if you manually move this metal part that goes into the transmission. Can someone tell me if this can be fixed without professional assistance. What is the proper name and part number or can you direct me to a parts repair list on-line?

You may try to purge the transaxle.

To purge the transaxle follow these steps:

1. Place tractor on an open level surface, clear of objects.

2. Turn engine off and apply parking brake.

3. Disengage transaxle by placing freewheel control in disengaged position.

4. Sitting in the tractor seat, start engine.

CAUTION: At any time during step 5 there may be movement of the drive wheels.

5. While the engine is running, move the throttle control to the slow position.

6. With motion control lever in neutral position, slowly disengage clutch/brake pedal (lifting foot off of the pedal).

7. Move motion control lever to full FORWARD position and hold for five (5) seconds.

8. Move motion control lever to full REVERSE position and hold for five (5) seconds.

9. Repeat steps 5 through 7, three (3) times.

10. Move motion control lever to neutral position.

11. Shut off engine and set parking brake.

13. Engage transaxle by placing freewheel control in engaged position.

14. Sitting in the tractor seat, start engine.

15. While engine is running, move throttle control to half (1/2) speed.

16. With motion control lever in neutral position, slowly disengage clutch/brake pedal.

17. Slowly move motion control lever forward, after the tractor moves approximately five (5) feet, slowly move motion control lever to reverse position.

18. After the tractor moves approximately five (5) feet return the motion control lever to the neutral position.

19. Repeat steps 14-16, with the motion control lever three (3) times.

20. The transaxle is now purged and ready for normal operation.

sheeet .. i never heard of such an operational procedure .. is this a joke ?@??!@?!@

Is this an AIR PURGE procedure for a HYDRO tranny / ?? i was inquiring about a non-hydro version ...

My wife had to do this after running into the freezer in the garage. Now it seems to be stuck in neutral after I had the tires off replacing them and raising the deck up as high as it would go with the adjuster screws.

I had the little "pull out to put it in neutral" thing pulled out now it's stuck in neutral. Hopefully this works for that as well.

Thank you so much! This was awesome and saved me having to get expensive repairs or a new mower. My husband had removed a rear tire for repair and it never moved again. We even took it to a repairman and he said it was deep in the transmission and it was a loss, and we should just part it out.

The mower did not move the first couple of times when I got to that point in the process. Thr third time it budged just a bit in forward only. I repeated the process about 5 or 6 times and it took off!!

Beverly Sims will be eternally grateful.