Model A1040 / 10, 15, 20, 30, or 40 GB hard drive / four touch-sensitive LED backlit buttons above touch wheel

New Battery will not charge

Changed battery and iPod started normally with low charge, everything works. Went to charge it and noted that hard drive starts up when cable plugged in, also keys do not work. Unplug cable and drive stops and keys work. Tried two different cables and same result. Now battery is dead so I get an Apple icon and then display goes dead.

Hard drive spins up when plugged in to charge? You must be using a 30-pin dock connector to USB cable. You need to use a 30-pin to firewire cable and charger, or an iPod dock. The iPod can’t charge with a USB cable, so when plugged in, it thinks you’re trying to sync it with a computer, causing the hard drive to spin up.

Thanks but how do I tell a firewire cable, I do not remember it having a different connector than the usb connection or is it the charger? I tried a original IPad charger or what I believe is an original one. (So many chargers and cables since I got the iPod!) I will see if I can locate originals.

Thanks again Daniel, your advice was spot on.

Glad I could help.

Evacuate the battery, press and hold the power catch for 20 seconds to expel and static vitality and after that interface the connector and power on your PC without the battery this. Presently when the PC is running, embed the battery (don't stress, it's not unsafe). Presently your battery will get recognized and begin charging.

Not sure this advice is appropriate for a iPod of this generation. The battery is not removable unless the device is disassembled. I have had this since it was new and had replaced the battery once in the past without any problems.

Just to make sure that the battery is not the problem, let’s try one more battery. iFixit sells the particular battery necessary for this device, and if we determine that the battery is not the problem then you can return it quick and easy.

iPod 3G Replacement Battery

If you would like the part only and not any of the tools provided to replace the battery you can select “part only” instead of the “fix kit”.

iPod 3G Replacement Battery Image

Product

iPod 3G Replacement Battery

$14.99

Well it’s worth trying, for this repair I have ordered two batteries, the first one was slightly too big and after a quick exchange of emails I received a full refund. Anyway I just tried that battery ( at this point I have opened the case up again so battery is flopping around) and same thing. I had lock on keys but iPod still started up and I had to unlock it to shut it off. So in case I was not clear, 2nd new battery same issues.

I am leaning toward the logic board being bad but not out of any knowledge other than the charging seems to physically be on this board.

John S Emerson will be eternally grateful.