no transmit but shows good output

cobra 29 ltd wx classic, good receive no transmit.showes it has good signal but no one hears it

I have a connex 4600 turbo that keys up but will not talk or receive

Most likely a blown audio output IC. This is the little amplifier that gives your radio its sound.

Most Helpful Answer

If it has a PA switch on your CB you can plug earphones in the output on the back,, to check your MIC.

Check your mic as well as your mic connection. Try a different one and see what happens.

+ could be that no one wants to talk to you. Ask for a radio check.

In this case sounds like bad mic or mic gain turned down or the audio section of the transmit board is open

The only thing with saying the finals have blown is that the original poster indicates the meter is still swinging over on tx but nobody hears him. If the finals had blown, I have never known a CB radio yet that still swings the meter on a key, the needle always stays dead or incredibly low once the outputs are shot. CB RADIO INFORMATION I would be concentrating on the antenna side of the equation, providing you even have one ?

thanks for this, because its helping me diagnose my needle not swinging, and what you say fully makes more sense, from an engineering perspective. so, the light is on behind the needle, but doesnt swing (cobra 29 wx), i suspected my finals, cant find alot of info on that readily, yet, then now i think you have pointed to a much more likely solution, my microphone. i suspected that as well but underestimated its role in transmit, for some reason... Everything has been in moisture for a few years, a wet wildewed box to top off, YA THINK THE MIKE MIGHT BE BAD?? Im going to see about replacing that first, because i dont have a backup to test it with, ill bet you i can meter it and find something out... thanks for the tips :-)

Does it have a meter on it? If yes, does the meter move wen you whistle into the microphone? (that is rude on the air but for lack of test equipment..)

Put a small AM radio right near the antenna and talk into the mike. Usually it will accidentally pick up the voice signal and you should hear it. It may squeal if the radio is loud and the mike picks up your signal.

odds are the mic is fine. Mine is, but has the same problem. In my experience, it's much more likely that the finals have blown and need to be replaced. Any competent CB shop can do this in a matter of minutes. If you are even moderately competent with a soldering iron, you can do it yourself.

With the speaker side down, set the radio on a flat surface. Remove the microphone plug from the radio. Look at the socket the mike plug came out of. You will see a four pin connection. Look closely at the four pins. One of them has a small bump or notch near it. To the left of that notch is the ground pin. To the right of that notch is the receive pin. Above the ground pin is the mike pin. Above the receive pin is the transmit pin.

With the radio turned on and the mike removed, take a small horseshoe shaped piece of wire and touch one end of it to the ground pin and the other end to the transmit pin. This will key the transmitter. If the needle on the meter does not move, you likely have a blown final. If the needle does move, you have a bad microphone or blown audio output IC.

Ive got the same problem I think, I receive well, have good transmit power, but on my other cb's it comes in as almost a garble, I checked everything and this is a brand new midland 1001z

Sounds like your radio is off frequency. Try changing channels on the radio you are transmitting on and leave the receiving radio on the previous frequency.

allan will be eternally grateful.