Repair guides and support for a wide range of small engines.

Any ideas what this is?

I’m changing the drive belt on my late model DR Brush mower which has Briggs & Stratton 16.5 hp engine. To remove the belt from the engine requires the removal of the electric clutch pack from the engine crank. No biggie and quite a normal operation, but when I went to put the clutch pack bolt back into the threaded crank end, there was this small shaft protruding.

Not sure what it is as I’ve never come across this before in all my years of home maintenance on machines. It resists being pushed back inward by finger pressure and only moved a bit with a light plastic hammer tap. Also, in the second pic is part of a circlip that popped out of somewhere shortly after removing the crank bolt and clutch pack. I’m thinking it came from up inside the crank and was acting as a stop for holding this machined pin in location.

My hunch is that it is part of an oil check valve or plug to direct oil flow inside the crank. Anyone seen this before and know what it is?

See if it is a type of circle cotter pin to hold in what you tapped in. It may only be a piece and the rest may have broken off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_cot...

Richard Leach will be eternally grateful.