Samsung's flagship phone, the Galaxy S8. Released in April 2017.

Remove Verizon Boot Splash Screen

I upgraded my S8 to a S9 and would like to sell my old S8 as an unlocked device.

I was told that being that the phone is paid off, It is unlocked, and can be used on any carrier.

This is great, but am wondering how to remove the Verizon Boot Splash screen and the pre loaded Verizon applications after the device is reset.

If I were to buy an unlocked phone and were to use the device on a different carrier, I wouldn’t want the Verizon bloatware on my device.

Is there any way to get the stock android firmware on the device. As if it was bought directly from Samsung?

And if not, do you have any suggestions for the best way to go about selling it as an unlocked phone with all the added Verizon crap?

Thanks,

Taylor

Verizon phones will not accept any custom ROM. This has been done this way since the S4/Note 3. The way Verizon locks their bootloader effectively prevents other ROM’s from being installed - even the reference Samsung ROM from the Unlocked by Samsung series. AT&T is also guilty of doing this so Verizon isn’t alone.

The feature Verizon uses is known as Samsung KNOX. The feature they use is boot signature enforcement, which verifies the ROM signature is correct and permitted to run. The phone will not boot without the Verizon ROM installed since the signature won’t match. This “feature” prevents you from removing the Verizon ROM or modifying it to remove their bloatware :(.

How I’d sell it is I’d sell it as unlocked for any carrier, but explicitly mention it’s a Verizon phone. This is sufficient because while it’s SIM unlocked, it is still a Verizon phone. It will also deter buyers who want the ability to tinker with the ROM, so you will not need to worry about the KNOX 0x1 flag being tripped and never being able to use KNOX again. You are better off losing 1 sale so you know the next buyer is genuinely okay with the limitations imposed by Verizon.

I figured as much :/

Hopefully the buyer won't mind!

Yeah... There's a reason that the AT&T/Verizon phones are unwanted (or strongly disliked) by buyers who care about the ability to tinker with something they own. It doesn't bother everyone, but buyers who want the freedom to tinker with what they have will overlook them entirely.

The problem is if you're on Verizon, you can't use a tinkering friendly model unless the IMEI/ESN range is in their system. They don't like to approve phones that aren't locked down for that. I've added my advice to the answer.

Taylor Struna will be eternally grateful.