Parts & Tools

Apple's 2016 revision to their laptop lineup targeted at professional users. Features a 15-inch, 2880-by-1800 Retina display, quad-core Intel Core i7, 256 GB / 512 GB /1 TB / 2TB storage options, 16 GB RAM, and a keyboard equipped with a Touch Bar. Released November 2016. Features Model A1707.

vertical bars on my display

My Macbook Pro shows vertical lines on the right side of the display, sometimes it changes to pitch black, sometimes clear lines while sometimes just clear lines.

Images:

https://res.cloudinary.com/ichtrojan/ima...

Hey! Did you get it fixed? I am facing the same thing, and I went to Apple Care and they said it might be covered under warranty if there is no breakage or outside damage. Did you get it fixed?

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Fist try to connect your Mac with external monitor or tv and check if the bars appear on the Mac display. if yes there is an hardware issue, if no software causing an error to reset press control + options + P + R restart the computer and press these buttons before getting grey screen.

I do think this is a slam dunk, the display got a good bang damaging it. No need to test with an external display.

@amily - If it was software the bars would stay within the given apps window, here its across the desktop and the menu bar. This is a messed up display and will need a new one.

@danj I really wanna be sure before buying a new display, I have a feeling a cable is not seated properly,, there's literally no sign of crack

@ichtrojan - I realize you likely don't see any physical damage as the damage is internal within the lid or hinge area.

Thanks @danj, @amily the rest didn't work but thanks for the help

The signaling is a raw display signal unlike what we've seen in the past. Before we had LVDS, then iDP (also known as eDP) which is what the older retina displays used. Here the signal is not converted as the T-CON board is mounted at the hinge area just above the main logic board.

Here’s an image of the display connections for all of the newer 13” & 15” TB & Fn models.

The signal cabled or soldered to the T-CON and not replaceable or removable without damage.

Sadly, nothing here to fix.

So, in other words, I just have to change the entire display unit

Sadly, yes. I'm sorry Apple did us in making these system harder to service.

Thanks a lot @danj, would hoard cash for it

I started having almost the same issue 3 days ago and it seems like it is getting worst day by day…

Is there any other way to check whether it is the Display by itself is the problem or if it’s another issue?

Did you get it fixed?

Did you ever figure this out? I have the EXACT same lines on the left side of my MacBook Pro

The issue is a hardware one either within the LCD panel or the T-CON logic and the ribbon cables to the LCD.

I've now fixed at least 10 of these now. A bang on the black clutch cove damages the ribbon cable connection to the T-CON (when you alter the angle of the display or press on the Touch Bar area it comes and goes) or if you press on the display its self it comes and goes the LCD was damaged. Other wise it's the T-CON logic. Sadly, in all three cases the same repair is needed replacing the display assembly!

Oy, having the same problem with a 2015 13” MacBook Retina. To fix the issue after consulting this site, I got a used replacement display assembly. $275 later… The problem persists. It is less bad, but different horizontal and vertical lines appear on the screen. Despite restarts, PRAM resets, attempts to re-seat the cable, the works. And they don’t show up on a 2nd monitor.

Don’t know if this was the case with the 1st display assembly (which grew worse and worse, eventually developing solid black blotches of nothingness randomly across the screen), but the replacement display appears to have a “soft spot” on the screen, at the nexus of the horizontal and vertical lines — a place where, if you touch it or put pressure on the screen, the colors of the lines change, but don’t go away. And if you press hard enough, black blotches appear. They are temporary, and disappear after a while. For now…

Like I said, “oy.”

Michael Okoh will be eternally grateful.