Repair and disassembly guides for microwave ovens.

Microwave makes loud electric sound when I turn it on, still works

When I started cooking with my microwave (Whirlpool model), I heard a loud electric popping sound but it continued to run and cooked my food just fine. I thought it might be a one-off occurrence, but it happened again later. I suspect it has something to do with the capacitor discharging itself when the microwave turns on, but when I opened it up I didn’t see any burn marks or other indications of what might be causing it. Any ideas?

iPhone Battery Fix Kits

Only $29.99

iPhone Battery Fix Kits

Only $29.99

Cause 1

Magnetron

The magnetron uses high voltage, high current DC power to generate the microwave frequency that cooks the food. Under normal circumstances, the magnetron emits a low hum. However, if the magnetron is damaged or nearly burned out, it may begin emitting high-pitched sounds or growling noises. If the magnetron is noisy, this indicates that the magnetron is nearing the end of its life or might be defective. A defective high-voltage diode can also cause the magnetron to be loud. Before replacing the magnetron, first test the high voltage diode. If the diode is not defective, replace the magnetron. (Warning: The microwave oven can store a lethal amount of electricity in its high voltage capacitor, even after the microwave oven has been unplugged. Due to the high running voltage and the potential for electric shock, it is extremely dangerous to replace the electronic components in a microwave. Only a licensed technician should replace the magnetron.)

I don't think it's the magnetron, as the sound was a sharp pop when the microwave starts cooking, not a continuous hum or anything.

Hello, I have the same problem with my Bosch microwave. Have you figured out the problem yet?

Brandon will be eternally grateful.