Complete how-to and replacement guides for the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max.

Is it possible to set up an iPhone without activation?

Hi all, I’m trying to set up an old iPhone 6S that i just repaired and wiped for a family member, but it seems to require a SIM card. I swapped my card in and it activated fine, and it’s set up now, but is there a way to set it up without putting a SIM in it temporarily?

Just a random wondering of mine.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Just to clarify, this has nothing to do with Activation Lock.

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

No, sim is required for now. Sometimes you won’t need a sim if the phone is unlocked but it’s rare. I have heard though that upon release of iOS 12 a sim will no longer be required. Just an internet connection.

The device I was setting up did have an internet connection, and was also running iOS 12 beta 3, so that does not seem to be the case. My phone is also unlocked, so this doesn't seem to be the case.

Reed Crosby will be eternally grateful.