Released September 22, 2017. Model A1864, A1897. Available as GSM or CDMA / 64 or 256 GB / gold, silver, and space gray.

True Tone Option Disabled on iPhone 8 Plus Running iOS 12

Hello! I'm pretty sure many of you are familiar with the bug that disables the ambient light sensor and true tone display on the 8+ with an aftermarket screen. I'd like to get some feedback from users using iOS 12 on an iPhone 8 and 8 Plus w/ aftermarket display. Does yours work perfectly? Here's what happened with mine

-Running iOS 11.4.1. Installed a new screen and True Tone was working perfect but the ALS was disabled.

-Here's the twist. Updated today to iOS 12 beta 3 now True Tone is disabled (missing) and now the ambient light sensor works but is kinda slow imo.

Can anyone share their experience? Hopefully Apple with enable BOTH True Tone and the ALS

P.S. I ordered a used genuine original screen cause I'll be keeping the phone (not selling got it for only $280!) hopefully everything would work with it and will update this post.

My iphone 8 plus doesn’t even have the true tone display settings i have searched the settings and cant find any. Please anyone tell me what happened with my phone.

Free shipping on all orders over $100 or containing a Pro Tech Toolkit!

Browse Our Store

Most Helpful Answer

The screen is paired with the logic board.

To get both working fine the display data from the chip on the display cable needs to be copied from the original screen that came with the phone to the replacement screen regardless of whether it was original or not.

It requires a flashing fixture that copies the data from one chip to another. REWA technology has released a product and video demonstrating this on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-tLd5FW...

I have this issue too, the screen of my iPhone 8 Plus was repaired with third party screens, first the auto brightness stop working, now after updating to iOS 12 beta 3 its working but True Tone option is gone.

it appears that on iOS12 its not enough just to copy screen data described in REWA video? Just replaced screen with another original screen (from another device), copied data and true tone disappeared.

apple continues to behave awful toward repair community

Did you resolved this issue? I have two original screens. Is it possible to rewrite data on the original screen?

yes, you can reprogram org screens

omg this is exactly what’s happening to my iPhone :( any idea to fix this other than using rewa technology?

I had my display replaced BY APPLE twice in the same day. First due to random touches. Then the replacement got a green line after 2 hours so i went back and they replaced it again. Being going fine until iOS 12.1 and now True Tone is gone on my iPhone X. Again all work on my phone was done at the Apple Store.

Hi all, i resolve problem with tuetone!

I replace third party Touchscreen, use ALS EEPROM programer, then update on iOS 12.1.1 - still no true tone

BUT. When I change flex with senzors from original (broken) touchscreen to new (third party) touchscreen its working and true tone appears!!!

Post to all with this True tone issue.

BR

wat do you mean? the camera or somthing?

So... Without the sensors connected they didn't work. And when you connected the sensors they worked? Great info!

Anyone knows if there’s still this problem with iOS 12.2? Thanks

Yes, I’m having iOS 12.2 beta 4 on my 8+ and none True Tone option.... I’m give up :(

So we have to Wait maybe for iOS 13 D:

P.M. Sar (SarLabs) will be eternally grateful.