0

Debby
1

Why does my engine die when the blade is engaged?

I have an older Murray riding lawn mower, whenever I engage the mower the engine dies, otherwise it runs great.

Will the blade turn by hand with the engine off?

mayer,

yes, and none of the scenarios below are problems. could the belt be on backwards? the mower is warmed up, clutch all the way in, i've tried engaging in grass and on pavement to test and i'm not in reverse. Thanks for the answering

Debby,

Possibly someone put the wrong size belt on which would cause binding as the deck moved. What is the model number on that, please? - more than likely you will find it on a metal plate under the seat. The only other thing I can think of is we had an older one that you had to have the transmission speed/gear set to park to engage the deck. There was also a safely switch for that. I forgot about that till now.

ABCellars,

1

ABCellars

Please tell us more to help narrow down what the problem is.

1) It is not receiving enough gas or the motor isn't warmed up enough.

2) You are not pushing in on the clutch when engaging the blades/lowering the deck or not pushing in on the clutch far enough.

3) You are engaging the blades/lowering the deck some place that provides too much resistance to the blades turning - such as grass that needs cut.

4) There is something binding in the blade/deck belt path.

5) You are attempting to engage the blades/ lowering the deck while it is in reverse.

I ruled out the clutch safety switch since you are getting it started. I ruled out the safety switch that won't let the tractor run if the blades are engaged on grade with to much of a slope (since you said older). It should be one of the above or some combination of them. With the information you have given I can't narrow it down more than that.

0

Joseph Melo
111

It sounds like you have a loss of power when you put the extra load on the engine. A possible answer could be as simple as changing or cleaning the air filter. A dirty air filter will allow the engine to run but too rich. The clogged filter acts like another choke. But when the load is applied to the engine, it is too rich and so it dies. Make sure that you are running the engine at full throttle when you do engage the blades.

0

Jimmyz1983
1

My dr feild brush mower ...cuts off when I engage the blades.... It is the large pro model with electric start... It runs fine until blades are engaged.... It shuts off and then will not start

0

mdeo
1

I have a Lawn-Boy mower and it is notorious for this problem. The engine starts as normal but engaging the blade kills it. Spark plug good. Air filter new. Fuel new. Blade turns by hand from underneath (with engine off). I've had it serviced once before and they managed to get it running but they don't exactly know what they did (other than taking the engine apart and re-assembling it). Stay away from Lawn-Boy mowers... expensive and extremely high maintenance. I miss my lawn mower from the 1970's...

0

FUand the horse
1

Shut off switch, dead mans switch, under the seat. It is not supposed to engage unless it detects weight on the seat. It comes undone or loose.

This answer fixed my mower, thank you. Wire came off when I changed battery under the seat.

ken mitchell,

0

shuntyreka oshburn
1

My Huskee only shut off once I put it in drive with the blade engage

Edited by: shuntyreka oshburn ( )

Okay, so what mower is it exactly, besides a Huskee?

18.5 twin riding mower

shuntyreka oshburn,

0

Keithfer Robinson
1

My Troy-bilt just started this (Shut off once I engage the blade), after my friend not knowing mix the gas with a smail amount of water. I removed the gas from the tank and put new gas in, but still doing the same. Keith