2.5 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz) with 3 MB shared L3 cache.

Help dissolving adhesive for battery removal

Hi All

I live in Australia so I cannot purchase the iFixit adhesive remover :-(

Anyone got any tips for making battery removal on the retina MacBooks pros easier?

Any alternatives to the iFixit adhesive remover that are available in Australia?

Thanks in advance!

GIVE TOOLS. FIX FOREVER.

GIVE TOOLS.

FIX FOREVER.

Spread the Fixmas cheer.

GIVE TOOLS. FIX FOREVER.

Spread the Fixmas cheer.

Warm the top case with a hair dryer. Careful not to melt the keys.

Then squirt acetone between the battery pack and the housing and use a playing card to slice through the adhesive. Repeat for every battery pack.

When you’re done removing the battery, let the housing cool down then use a chisel X-acto blade #17 to remove the adhesive from the housing. Wipe any residue with acetone and you’re ready to install the new battery.

Thanks I am applying heat & careful prying at the moment but this obviously carries a reasonably high level of risk. I'll try the acetone though! :-) thanks for the suggestion

Alex, I edited the answer. Read it again.

Thanks! I'll give it a try! :-)

Most Helpful Answer

The iFixit kit uses acetone. I use methanol. Either will work fine.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm waiting on the battery to arrive, shall try it once received.

Check out aldon-chem website and search for sds, or google “aldon chem sds”. Chemical name “AA-0051”. The sds says it’s 99.8% acetone, 0.1% Cherry Almond Fragrance and 0.1% FD&C Blue #1 (C.I. No. 42090). It’s all public information.

Alex Smallwood will be eternally grateful.