2.5 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz) with 3 MB shared L3 cache.

Help dissolving adhesive for battery removal

Hi All

I live in Australia so I cannot purchase the iFixit adhesive remover :-(

Anyone got any tips for making battery removal on the retina MacBooks pros easier?

Any alternatives to the iFixit adhesive remover that are available in Australia?

Thanks in advance!

PC Laptop Batteries

An easy fix for a big power boost.

PC Laptop Batteries

An easy fix for a big power boost.

Warm the top case with a hair dryer. Careful not to melt the keys.

Then squirt acetone between the battery pack and the housing and use a playing card to slice through the adhesive. Repeat for every battery pack.

When you’re done removing the battery, let the housing cool down then use a chisel X-acto blade #17 to remove the adhesive from the housing. Wipe any residue with acetone and you’re ready to install the new battery.

Thanks I am applying heat & careful prying at the moment but this obviously carries a reasonably high level of risk. I'll try the acetone though! :-) thanks for the suggestion

Alex, I edited the answer. Read it again.

Thanks! I'll give it a try! :-)

I just did this and used piano wire. Pulled the wire under the batteries and that cut through the adhesive. 15 min

Most Helpful Answer

The iFixit kit uses acetone. I use methanol. Either will work fine.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm waiting on the battery to arrive, shall try it once received.

I use a syringe to unjust it under the battery.

Check out aldon-chem website and search for sds, or google “aldon chem sds”. Chemical name “AA-0051”. The sds says it’s 99.8% acetone, 0.1% Cherry Almond Fragrance and 0.1% FD&C Blue #1 (C.I. No. 42090). It’s all public information.

BEHOLD, THE MAGIC SOLUTION.

Take some Dental Floss, a Qtip, and GOO GONE.

Position your dental floss behind the battery.

Pull to one side.

Wet the Qtip with Goo Gone generously, hard to get too much.

Pull.

Wet the other side of the floss with Goo Gone.

Pull.

Repeat this process for 30 minutes in this case. You’ll start to feel when that Goo Gone is getting in there nice and good. You sometimes need to use a little bit of force.

WARNING: Do not pour the Goo Gone while the Mac is upside down — remember your LCD Monitor is delicately sitting underneath this all! I saw some pour soul report they melted their screen and had to buy a new Mac. I stood mine up on the side and flossed it. Great technique.

While I could make some guesses about how your method includes the Q tip, I think it's worth pointing out that your instructions are a bit vague about that part.

I'm presuming somehow in your process, you transfer goo gone from the Q tip to the floss, but again it's not very clear where in your steps you're doing that.

Alex Smallwood will be eternally grateful.