0

jasonConnors
13

LCD IS DARK, I used outside source to view files

I have an unibody mackbook pro 15 inch 2.53 ghz, this mackbook is powering on to the normal screen, however I have to use an outside source such as my television to view my files, if I use a flashlight I can see what's going on behind the screen, the keyboard also do not illuminate. I'm just curious, can I just buy the inverter or it's better to just buy the whole LCD, I have no idea what is going on. Thanks for your help IFIXIT.

Edited by: mayer ( )

Might this be the correct model?

Jerry F Nerviano,

hi there, thanks for all the responses, I am wandering now, the links that are posted here about the LED inverter board, are not for my model which is the A1286, am I correct or is it that those models listed are use the same inverter as the A1286.

jasonConnors,

3

Jerry F Nerviano
Jerry's Computer Service

According to iFixit (and every other source I could find), what you probably need is called an LED Driver board.

The backlighting of LED-lit displays is a bit different than standard CCFL-lit LCD displays. For one, there is no "inverter". I found this out the hard way working on a Sony several months ago. It was my first foray into LED displays on laptops (or anywhere, to be honest).

At an educated guess, I'd bet the LED Driver board controls the keyboard lighting as well.

Replacing the LCD panel will not fix your problem, as it has no control over the lighting, regardless of what type is used.

There is a guide here on iFixit that will show you how to do this. You will need this part.

I hope this helps!

It seems I need to learn to read the questions better. I missed the "unibody" reference. I'll assume this is, in fact, the model in question. (I can't actually edit the device listed on the page...rep not high enough, I guess.)

That said, this may be the correct one.

Unfortunately, this is the entire assembly, rather than just a part.

I checked eBay and came up with this, which may be more appropriate, depending on how much you feel like opening up that display assembly.

I used the search terms "macbook unibody 15 led" on eBay to get that. As usual, I only looked at "Top Sellers" under "Buy It Now".

Let us know if we're on the right track! Otherwise, I'll wait for more detailed information about the system.

MacBook Pro 15" Unibody (Mid 2009) Display Assembly

Includes LED assembly, iSight camera, Bluetooth board, and AirPort card. — Currently out of stock.

MacBook Pro 15" (Models A1226/A1260) LED Driver Board

LED Driver Board controls the LED backlight. — 24 available at 44.95 each.

Edited by: Jerry F Nerviano ( )

Jerry, please check this answer and part

mayer,

Ah, sorry...I was basing the answer on the original system listing. Gimme a few, I'll update.

Jerry F Nerviano,

+ You not only got the right machine, you found the correct part ;-)

mayer,

Woot! Thanks, mayer. :)

Jerry F Nerviano,

2

mayer
MacHale Enterprises

0

Fix Computers
1

I would buy a new inverter first because it will be much cheaper than a new screen, also the answer is in your question, a new LCD screen will not fix the lights on your keyboard. I am 99% sure a new inverter will fix your problem.

Good luck

harvey

Fix Computers - would you mind giving a link to the inverter for this LED screen?

mayer,

Not your specialty, is it?

@Fix Computers - While I don't think the jab was strictly necessary, (looking at you, oldturkey03), mayer is correct. While I might have considered a similar answer several months ago, I would have looked up the actual system in question and suggested part before posting, thus avoiding such comments form the iFixit vets. Don't worry about it too much, tho. Stick around. You'll learn quickly. :)

Jerry F Nerviano,

Jerry, you've given enough good answers not to get slammed. just nudged. But with a name like "fix computers" to give this as a first answer, just asks for it. He should be happy he didn't get three downvotes.

mayer,

@mayer - Well, the answer wasn't wrong, it was just based on faulty information. The system listed when I first answered was a 15" A1226/A1260. Having missed the "unibody" reference, I went with that. Now that it's been changed (and probably again, since the size is wrong), I see my error.

Jerry F Nerviano,