Released October 24, 2011 / 2.2, 2.4, or 2.5 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 Processor

Can I install High Sierra on my Samsung EVO 860 SSD?

Is it OK to upgrade to High Sierra on a Samsung SSD EVO 860 in MacBook Pro Late 2011 right now?

You can actually install High Sierra on an SSD without automatically converting to APFS, using, of course, HFS+ instead.

1) Download the MacOS High Sierra installer from the App Store as usual, making sure it’s within the /Applications/ directory. You will need the full installer to have the Contents/Resources/ options available to you.

2) Open the Terminal application, found in /Applications/Utilities/ (or from the Utilities screen menu options if booted from a USB boot installer)

3) Enter the following command syntax at the command line prompt:

/Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO

4) Hit return key to start the macOS High Sierra install process with the –converttoapfs NO directive, thereby skipping the APFS conversion of existing file system

Hello Mr. Jerk, I followed you advice and it is somehow installing on my Samsung Evo 860, however it has been a long moment that it says 43 Minutes to Install. Is this normal?

I tried doing from a bootable key but it says that my 1Tera SSD is too small... I understand that there seems to be comptabilitity issues between Apple and Samsung.

Apple still has a few issues with APFS which from my understanding will be fixed in the coming Mojave release.

I have it running on my systems but it does encounter delays when you try saving or copying to your Home folder if you have it linked to your iCloud account. So for starters I would not enable iCloud backup.

owen L will be eternally grateful.