Parts & Tools

Hybrid laptop/tablet manufactured by Microsoft. Released October 2015. Model 1703.

some keys on keybaord wont work

yeah, some of my keys on my laptop wont work e.g. 9, m, =, d, etc. i havent spilled anything and i tried checking for dust, crumbs and tried to rotate it on a 45 degree angle and tap to see anything would come out. i havent tried any softwares or anything to fix it. anyway to fix it?

thanks

Same here...I thought I got Windex on base when wiping the keyboard down, but none of the keys are came back a couple of hours later a using a drying (figure at least one would come back). Ones out are S, D, U, O, 8, 9 , [, ], -, =, N, M and others. Using a USB keyboard to type this. I checked Windows updates and I haven't seen anything recent.

I had the exact same issue. Surface Book had to be replaced (it was the first of now three replacements

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Try unplugging the the keyboard than cleaning the connectors and plugging it back in.

From my experience of disassembling and fixing several keyboards with fully or partially not working keys I can say that just cleaning contacts will not work.

The membrane part of the keyboard, where the contacts for the keys is printed on, is prone to deterioration.

Since the keyboard module is riveted to the top palm rest - the best chance to fix it, is to get a new keyboard assembly. It can be either salvaged from another base, or bought on ebay or aliexpress.

Catherine Dao will be eternally grateful.