0

Erinn
1

Screen is covered with lines with large black spots and border

My mac screen is almost completely covered with vertical lines white screen and black spots with black borders. It started off with vertical lines, few days later a large black spot showed up then I noticed the top of the screen was turning black almost like it was leaking black ink. If I take a screen shot the ugly screen doesn't show up in the image. On top of that my computer will not work unless its plugged in. What do I do?

Edited by: mayer ( )

2

ABCellars

I am 95% certain you need to replace the LCD based on your description. However lets do a few things to rule out all possibility of it being any thing else. Move the upper part of the laptop that holds the lcd backwards and forwards from the hinge, while observing the display. If things get better or worse by doing that it could be the video data cable or a bad connection to that cable. Hook up an external monitor up if the picture is good on an external monitor. Then it is either the LCD or the video data cable. If the picture is similar on the external monitor the it is most likely either failing video memory or GPU. Please let us know more after you have tried these test and we will help you get the part that needs replaced and provide a guide to replace it.

+ sounds good to me:-)

1

mayer
MacHale Enterprises

Sounds like you need to replace your LCD. Go under the Apple icon in the upper left hand corner to "about this Mac", more info, >Hardware > Graphics/Displays. Get the information on your screen.

Also please give the last three letters of your serial number so we know exactly which machine you have. (located in the battery compartment). This will allow directing toward the correct guide.