Model A1419 / EMC 3070 / Mid 2017 / 3.4, 3.5 or 3.8 GHz Core i5 or 4.2 GHz Core i7 Kaby Lake Processor (ID iMac18,3) / Retina 5K display. Refer to the older iMac Intel 27" Retina 5K Display (Late 2014 & 2015) guides as the system is very similar.

iMac 2017 27" - i7-7700 possible?

Hey,

Can I install an Intel Core i7-7700 in an original iMac 5K mid 2017? An i7-7700K would work, but because of the heat I would like a 7700 without K?

According to the data sheet, the processors both have an Intel HD 630 graphics card. The current i5-7500 also has an HD630 card.

Apple uses only the K model in the i7. Is the processor recognized without K in the iMac?

I think you're going at this the wrong way.

How about first figuring out what your issue is. Please run TG Pro and post some output so we can try to see whats really happening.

The performance is not the same with the older CPU: 3.3 GHz Core i5 - 4590 ("Haswell").

Think of it this way... You have two rowers rowing a boat. One is very strong and the other is not. You have each rowing on the different sides the stronger rower will over power the weaker so you end up going in circles instead of a straight line. But if both are matched you get better performance. This is the issue between the two graphic services internal & dedicated.

Most Helpful Answer

Processor specs:

For starters, it wouldn’t have the needed integrated graphics services to push the 5k display. Remember the iMac toggles between the internal and dedicated GPU depending on what is required. Simple put, no I don’t think you can.

Maybe we need to talk about your heat issue what are you running for apps that is cooking the system? What is the environment you live in (where you run the system)?

I would recommend running a good thermal monitoring app like this one: TG Pro. You’ll want the full version so you can graph the values over time. How about taking a screen snapshot of the main window (make sure you get all of the sensors) and paste it here for us to see when the system is at its high point so we can see what you mean. Adding images to an existing question

Florian Kipper will be eternally grateful.