Third generation of the Integra, the last of which would be called "Integra" in North America.

How can I change the starter on my car?

My car is having problem during start. The battery is okay.

have you checked the main relay that just under the steering wheel.

just wondering if you did go ahead and get if fixed;-)

Most Helpful Answer

mpcoladilla, just like cys said, make sure that it is your starter that needs replacing. The replacement of the starter is really straight forward. Remember that if you have the ORIGINAL RADIO that you must have the customer code number. This is important since you are going to disconnect the battery and the coded theft protection may leave your original radio useless. I attached the page from the service manual that shows the removal of the starter in a few simple steps. Good Luck and let us know if this helped.

+ when the radio lock out start? Is it on all cars now? Where does the customer code number come from and how is it entered?

It is not just Acura but the Benz's and Audi's and a lot of the standard Bose do have it now too. There is actually a separate manual for the stereo that explains how to operate and how to enter the code. Since I do not know which radio it is , i can not specifically say how to enter it. I can check the service manual (1600+ pages)to see how to enter a code.

You can call or go in to the authorized dealer of your car to get the radio code. They need the VIN number, there is a logarithm based on the vin. Add Volvo to the list.

thanks for the reply oldturkey03... i checked everything except for the starter... it just make a clicking sound everytime i turn the ignition. so, i thought it is the starter that has problem. i'll work on this over the weekend. any idea how much a starter gonna cost me? thank you very much for the attachment, i appreciate it..

Hi there prices vary between 90 and 150$ I guess it depends to at where you are located. I find autozone has usually the better prices for my vehicles. Sounds like it is your starter and let us know how it is going. Good Luck.

Most starters show some sign of failure prior to being completely inoperative (but not always). Prior to this, was there any change in the starting proceedure? Different noises than before? Intermittent operation? Having to turn the key several times before the starter engaged? These are all signs of a starter that is about to fail.

A clicking starter solenoid is a sign of low current, enough to trigger solenoid, [click on] but not enough the turn starter motor, [click off], so click, click, click, click.

A low battery would cause this.

Poor grounding would cause this.

Poor power connections would cause it.

A bad starter, [short] would cause it.

Try wiggling the transmission shifter in the park slot back and forth and see if the car starts. The car won't start unless it is in park and there is a contact down there which can get dirty.

http://newcarbuyingguide.com/index.php/n... all you ever wanted to know about the starter and circuit testing. I have had issues with the starter stator wiring having short-circuited and thus the solenoid engaged but the starter did not turn. The other issue that commonly happens are that the brushes are wore down and do not allow the starter to function. I am not even sure if the parts are still available to rebuild your own stator....those were the days :-)

@ oldturkey03... i search on autozone website and there is a store nearby. its gonna cost me $172 for remanufactured starter. thanks again!!!

@ ABCellars... i still do have my radio code... thanks for the info anyways...

@ mayer... wow! what an info... i will double check it again... it could be one of those problems that you mention. it happens that i got to start my car after turning the ignition 4-8 times i think. and during those time, all i'm hearing is a clicking sound. thanks for the information, this is a great help...

Thanks. I just wanted to give you some options to check that don't cost the big bucks. Turkey knows a lot more about this than I, but I don't think you had mentioned the clicking when he gave his answer.

In my opinion for my car, Acura Integra 1991, you should check the contact of small electronic board located next to the gear-shift bar. When you shift to choose the location of P,R,N,D,2,1 of gear-box, because just in P, or N postion, you can start your car.

For my car, the problem come from all wires that connect this board to the starter, and you only hear a click-sound at the starter because the current is too weak, because of bad-contacts from these all wires. I fix this problem by my-method, I set-up an extra-circuit by using an extra-relay 12VDC. The control signal from CPU will trigger the relay, and the relay-contact will triggers the starter. Now I never get this problem on my car any more.

I have a problem starting my car after I stopped and parked my car several times in a two hours period. Got help from AAA provider to push start my car and it did start and got home safely. After few hours of non operation, my start starts again. Whats seems the problem ? Is it the starter itself or something else. Please . Please give your opinion. Thank you for your help. Ernie

Ok first time for me that I am doing this but just an fyi I had stallhing no spark issues and starter problems well I happened to ACCIDENTALLY kicked my driver side left panel and my car wanted to start all of a sudden we soon realized after spending 600 on parts that it was a short on the relay for the starter we r still tracing the wireing to be sure the problem is fixed but it looks very promising

Oh yeah and this is a 1996 acura integra I just bought thought I got a good deal then started having problems but luckily my husband is a mechanic so that saved me some dough

Removing A Bad Starter

1.Disconnect the battery

2.Jack up the vehicle if need be

3.Locate the starter

4.Disconnect the wiring to the solenoid.

5.Remove the starter retaining bolts then the starter

2.Installing A New Starter

1.Compare the new starter to the old one

2.Slide the starter into place.

3.Insert the starter retainer bolts.

4.Connect the wiring to the starter solenoid.

5.Reconnect the battery.

mpcoladilla will be eternally grateful.