Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

Samsung 860 SSD causing MacBook Pro 2012 to freeze

I am having a problem with my newly installed Samsung 860 Evo SSD. I'm running Yosemite and Windows 7 with bootcamp. When running Yosemite, I'll get the beach ball after a few minutes or so and the OS becomes unresponsive which forces me to do a hard shutdown.

I've already replaced the SATA cable twice in a matter of two weeks. I bought one a $10 one from amazon and then the recommended one from ifixit, I've put electrical tape down under the cable and on both cables, both are causing the same problems. I turned TRIM on and still the problem persists. My bottom RAM slot is definitely finicky, but I loosened the screws on the RAM bay and have been fine for the last couple days so I don't believe it's a RAM issue. Not too sure what to do at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sidenote: Oddly enough, my windows 7 partition works flawlessly.

I actually sent my 860 EVO in to samsung for "repairs" to see if that would do anything. They just updated the firmware supposedly which did nothing. Nothing left to do but try the crucial MX500.

You really didn't have a bad SSD you had a bad cable. Alex's your issue was a cable issue either damaged the cable by creasing it or had the original cable which couldn't support the higher I/O flows the SSD can push.

Since you've already tried cable replacement, first thing to try, we are left with three possible issues: faulty drive, faulty logic board, Yosemite and the drive don't like each other.

If you have your old hard drive you could try reinstall it to rule out a possible logic board failure.

If that succeeds I would evaluate the possibility to update your OS to High Sierra and see if that solves your problem. If that fails too, you might have had a bad luck and got a faulty Samsung, since it's new you shouldn't have a problem to get it replaced.

Good point. I have been running off of my old hard drive lately and it has been working just fine. I also installed the SSD into my brother's late 2011 macbook pro and I encountered the same freezing issues so it definitely is not a logic board issue. I will try to update the OS and let you know the results. Thank you!

@alrodriguez Glad to be of some help :) keep us posted !

I updated the OS to High Sierra and it unfortunately did not work :( I guess I'll be contacting Samsung for a replacement drive.

I've put ton's of Samsung SSD into both 13" & 15" MacBook Pro's. The biggest problem I see is damaged/worn HD cables or the original cable which can't support the higher I/O flows the SSD pushes. As a matter of course I always replace the cable and I place a strip of electricians tape on the uppercase where the cable crosses over as the rough aluminum surface. The other issue I often see is the cable has been creased into a sharp corner this damages the fragile foil wires. You want smooth arcs.

The last issue is making sure to prep the drive properly, setup a USB thumb drive as a bootable OS installer following this guide How to create a bootable macOS Sierra installer drive then use migration assistant to move your stuff over. I strongly recommend sticking with Sierra as High Sierra and Mojave upgrade the file system from HFS+ to APFS. So far APFS has performance issues running on SATA based SSD's.

I had the same exact issue with early 2011 Macbook Pro and 860 EVO - freezing hard a few minutes after startup, including Safe Mode. After numerous efforts to troubleshoot the OS installation I just swapped 860 EVO for a Crucial MX500 - the problem was gone, working perfectly. Just to check I cloned MX500 to the EVO again and put it back in the Macbook, freezing returned.. so I am going with MX500. Interestingly, I thoroughly tested the EVO in an external USB3 enclosure and no errors were found.

My conclusion is that there is some sort of inherent compatibility issue between Macbook and EVO that users will occasionally experience - possibly on a specific batch of EVO products.

Earlier I wrote about the problem I encountered with a 1TB 860 EVO in my 2011 MacBook Pro 15” that went away only after I swapped it for an Mx500. Well, later I installed another, 500GB 860 EVO in a 13” 2011 MacBook Pro. Though with half the capacity of the first one, this one has been working flawlessly for a few months now. In nether the first nor the second 860 EVO had I upgraded any firmware. Again,, it's also in a different, 13 “ with Yosemite and not a 15” MacBook Pro with High Sierra.

Your real problem is a bad HD SATA cable MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2012) Hard Drive Cable and heres the guide to install it MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2012 Hard Drive Cable Replacement. Even still you should place a strip of electricians tape on the upper case when the cable crosses over and lastly don't crease the cable! You want a smooth arc around the bends.

Try swapping out the ribbon cable that runs between the hard drive and the logic board. You can buy them here at ifixit, Powerbookmedic or Beetstech (if either of the latter two, tell 'em Chris sent you). A few of the MBP models around that era have notorious issues with that cable, which will run you around $20 delivered. One client has been back several times to have the same cable replaced, I'm guessing because he keeps crushing the notebook in his backpack.

The fastest way to determine if it's the drive or the cable, is to begin by removing the bottom panel, unplugging the battery from the board and unscrewing the drive bracket. Remove the bracket and the drive, carefully disconnecting the sata ribbon cable from the drive. Using a $10 sata to usb adapter from your local computer parts store (I'm not pro-Amazon), connect the drive and lay it down circuit-side up. Plug in the battery. Carefully align the bottom panel with the case so as not to touch any metal on the board. Replace the screws after this test. Plug in the adapter to an available usb port (any other ports should be unoccupied). Plug in the magsafe and hit the power button. Give it a moment to find the (now) external drive and startup. If you're able to carry on about your session as usual, indications are that the hd ribbon cable is your culprit.

Assessment made, please promptly and properly shut down the Mac (Apple menu > Shut Down). Wait until it's completely powered off before disconnecting the drive. Reassembly it with the new cable. Continue Mac-ing.

My theory: either weight of the Mac causes the bottom panel to push up touching the cable, squeezing it between part of the frame or optical drive. Over time, the pressure wears out the cable. The symptoms are similar to a failing drive and can lead to many hours wasted of failed OS install attempts and troubleshooting. I speak from experience.

Good luck.

Chris Leeds, IACS

Well Connected Life

PS Always remember to unplug the battery while inside.

Thanks for your quick reply Chris. I have already replaced the ribbon cable in pretty close succession, using two different vendors as I described above. The problem remained the same.

I recently encountered the same issues 1TB 860 EVO drive, sent it back and swapped for the Crucial MX500 1TB drive, although overall it seems better, I am still encountering a really slow computer, my original Crucial MX500 500gb SSD works fine for some reason. Also both the Samsung & Crucial drives both worked fine when plugged in externally, I have as well swapped out hard drive cables with a variety of manufacturers with no luck. I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro

I had a problem with the 1tb crucial ssd drive that I installed in the optical drive of my 13” 2012 macbook pro. I installed the same ssd in my 15” 2012 macbook pro without issue, but the 13” wasn’t working when after install. After toiling over it for a couple days not knowing the issue, I finally found in the small print of either the page for the housing that I bought for it or the disc itself (I can’t remember), where it said that the maximum ssd that the 13” macbook pro 2012 was 500gb. Or it said that is sometimes the case. Which gave me an answer at least to my problem. 500gb did work for me, but the 1tb ssd did not, so I assumed that was the reason. I can’t seem to find the page where that info was, but the info was, to be sure. Has anyone else successfully installed a 1tb ssd in the optical drive of their 2012 macbook pro 13”?

Im having the exact same problem, have you found a solution yet? Thanks

I have not. I've even tried taking my macbook into an apple store to see if they knew how to fix it. All they suggested was to reinstall the OS, which they did and nothing changed.

Sounds like a compatibility issue with Samsung's SSDs from what I heard on iFixit, you'll have to swap out the SSD for a crucial branded one such as the MX500 series as they have been tested to work on MacBooks without issues.

I have the same issue with my mac book pro mid 2012 and the newly installed samsung ssd 860 pro. Sometimes it works fine and the speed is great! However, sometimes it does not even boot, the system is showing crossed circle instead of the apple. Upon three failure attempts to boot from ssd, mac starts my previous system which is now installed in the optibay. And the most interesting thing is that ssd is always available from the old system. I launch the first aid to recover it, check that ssd is the system disk to be boot, and reboot my mac. Again sometimes it helps immediately, sometimes mac just does not want to start and that's it :( Then suddenly in a couple of days it starts from the ssd. I cannot even understand the logic of such behavior. What could it be?

Another issue is that it does not wake up from the sleep mode. Hard reset is the only option.

Since new comments are added to this topic, I guess it is my duty to share the solution. So falks, I have simply bought another ssd by Transcend and replaced the Samsung. It just works and that's it. The same cable is used, basicaly everything is the same. Not a single failure for more than 3 months. Only positive emotions from my mac and amazing speed! Thus, it seams to me that the issue was some minor but very unpleasant compatibility problem specific to Samsung 860 pro. By the way I have installed it into my pretty old PC, where it works perfect now.

Alex will be eternally grateful.