0

Toke Lahti
1

Is it possible to tighten the hinges on 17" unibody?

If it is possible, how?

2

mayer
MacHale Enterprises

Yes. You can get to the screws by using the Upper Case Guide. Click on the Step-by-Step guides tab to your right and select the " Upper Case Replacement" and "Upper Case".

Hmm, I can find the "Upper Case" here: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Insta... , but where's "Upper Case Replacement" and is there any info on how & where to tighten? I guess step 44 is close, but anything really on the subject?

Toke Lahti,

Steps 44 and 45 are how you tighten the hinges. I don't know how to tell you more unless you are looking for replacements.

mayer,

Are you suggesting that with those 3 screws each side, you can adjust the hinge's tightness? Since this is not mentioned in the text, can you elaborate a bit more?

Toke Lahti,

I don't have your Book in hand so I can't judge how loose your hinges are, where they are loose or if you've damaged them. Your question is so brief that I have no idea what's going on with your machine. You may have to use your own judgement.

mayer,

I haven't damaged the hinges in any way. They have been loose from the beginning and judging for the tons of same kind of reports in the net, it is some kind of design flaw. http://www.fixthehinge.com/ Looseness got worse when I added Speck's Silky skin. If the laptop is not in totally horizontal position, the screen will open or close even with minimal movement. Once again, this hinders greatly the use of laptop on your laptop. Anyway, I've wasted too much time on googling this thing without good answers and is I can't find experience on the subject even from ifixit, I guess I just act like everybody else; keep complaining, but not opening ny mbp.

Toke Lahti,